Re: [XTalk] the beatitudes

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2001
      At 10:56 AM 9/17/01 -0800, you wrote:
      >I'm curious how both this list and how the Jesus Seminar rate the
      >authenticity of the beatitudes (presumably Luke's version being the
      >more original)?

      Steve,
      You really oughta get your own copy of The Five Gospels, so you can answer
      questions like this for yourself. In T5G on p. 292-3, they provide a
      comparison table of Luke 6:20-26, Matthew 5:3-12 and GThomas 54; 68-69. The
      most authentic of the beatitudes are Luke 6:20-21 (red!)//Matthew 5:3,4,6
      (pink), so yes, they regard the Lukan version as more original and,
      furthermore, as among the reddest of the red But they also regard GThomas
      54 as more original (red) than Matt 5:3.

      >Did Jesus teach something very much like this or is this an early "Q"
      >sermon created by that "community" and eventually ascribed to Jesus?

      Because Luke 6:20 is among the reddest of the red, the credit goes to
      Jesus, and not to Q:
      "Jesus almost certainly formulated the first three congratulations [i.e.,
      beatitudes] in their Lukan version-- concerning the poor, the hungry and
      the persecuted." (T5G, p. 138)

      For the details, see these and adjacent pages in T5G. I am inclined to
      agree that at least 3 of the beatitudes are authentic, and illustrate a
      type of discourse common in Jesus' speech.