Re: [XTalk] the gospel of barnabas

  • Hans Radax
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
      Source: Los Evangelios Apócrifos - Edición crítica y bilingüe, Bibliotheca
      de Autores Cristianos, Madrid 1993 (ISBN 84-7914-044-5

      Page 20:
      The Decretum Gelasianum contains a list of apocrypha, listing as number 7
      Evangelium nominae Barnabae, apocryphum.
      It is also cited together with the Evangelium nominae Matthiae (number 6 of
      Gelasianum) in the list of the Seventy Books. No other trace of it is
      preserved. I cannot be identified with the Gospel of Barnabas, called the
      Italian, published by Ragg in 1907.

      Page 24-25:
      Gospel of Barnabas (the Italian)
      It is a tendentious composition of the 14th century, penned by a Christian
      apostate to Islam. It is possible that the original language was Arabic, but
      only Italian and Spanish manuscripts survive. It considers Muhammad as the
      Messiah, who had to come to liberate men from the errors, to which they were
      subject even after the coming of Christ. It is available in Spanish
      translation in González-Blanco, Los Evangelios Apócrifos III 66-69 (Madrid
      1934). Conf. Lo. and La. RAGG, The Gospel of Barnabas, edited and translated
      from the Italian ms. in the imperial library at Vienna (Oxford 1907). Id:
      The Mohammedan Gospel of Barnabas: JThSt 6 (1905) 424-433 [affirming that
      the old Spanish version was reprinted from the Lectures of Dr. White (1784).
      It is also possible to consult the article of W. Axon, On the Mohammedan
      Gospel of Barnabas: JThSt 3 (1902) 441-452. This late work is not to be
      confounded with the Gospel of Barnabas, listed in the Decretum Gelasianum.

      Hope this helps :-)

      Dr. Hans Radax
      Cuenca, Ecuador
    • Mustela nivalis
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
        At 17:07 09/03/2001 -0400, you wrote:
        >does anyone have any reliable information about this text?
        >
        >thanks

        The only decent on-line article I have found on the Gospel of Barnabas is
        from the Spring 2000 edition of the Journal of Higher Criticism (JHC) which
        can be read at:

        http://www.depts.drew.edu/jhc/Blackhirst_Barnabas.html

        Blackhirst takes a negative view of the antiquity of the material in this
        medieval gospel.
        ----------
        Weasel
        (Mustela nivalis)

        O Lord, if there is a Lord, save my soul, if I have a soul.

        Priere d'un Skeptique
        Ernest Renan
      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
          At 12:00 AM 9/4/01 +0200, you wrote:
          >Jim,
          >see Dr. Rodney Blackhirst`s website
          >
          >http://ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~blackhir/Entry.html

          thank you.

          j.

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          Jim West, ThD

          Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies, Roane State Community College

          Home Page:
          Biblical Studies Resources
          http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
            At 05:17 PM 9/3/01 -0500, you wrote:

            >The Decretum Gelasianum contains a list of apocrypha, listing as number 7
            >Evangelium nominae Barnabae, apocryphum.

            snipped

            >Hope this helps :-)
            >
            >Dr. Hans Radax
            >Cuenca, Ecuador

            very much, thank you

            j.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
              my interest in this putative gospel account is because in his new (and i
              must add BRILLIANT) book - Rabbi Jesus - Bruce Chilton uses the gospel as
              fodder for his mill. so being the inquisitive soul i am- i thought i would
              take a look at it myself.

              best
              and thanks

              jim