Re: Paul, Thecla and Ephesus

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      I just checked MR James' translation of the Acts of Paul. Thecla is
      thrown to the beasts, but miraculously delivered. James has this passage:

      <<AT EPHESUS

      This episode is not traceable in the Coptic MS. but it undoubtedly formed
      part of the Acts, though its place is uncertain. It is preserved in an
      allusion by Hippolytus (early third century) and in an abstract by Nicephorus
      Callisti (fourteenth century) in his Ecclesiastical history (ii. 25). There
      is also a sentence in the Acts of Titus:
      'They departed from Crete and came to Asia: and at Ephesus twelve thousand
      believed at the teaching of the holy Paul: there also he fought with beasts,
      being thrown to a lion.'

      HIPPOLYTUS in his Commentary on Daniel, iii. 29, says:
      For if we believe that when Paul was condemned to the beasts the lion that
      was set upon him lay down at his feet and licked him, how shall we not
      believe that which happened in the case of Daniel? >>

      The quotation from Nicephorus follows, but is rather long. So both
      experiences with beasts may originally have been present.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley,
      Birmingham, UK.

      RSBrenchley@...