Re: [XTalk] John the Baptist & Jesus

  • Rikki E. Watts
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 1, 2001
      on 31/8/01 11:04 AM, Antonio Jerez at antonio.jerez@... wrote:

      > To make the record straight I do recall that besides Mt 1-2 I also mentioned
      > that Gundy (and me) believes that several parables and the Last Judgement show
      > clear signs of Matthew's inventiveness.
      >
      > Best wishes
      >
      > Antonio Jerez

      Thanks,

      Regards
      Rikk

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 2, 2001
        At 04:26 PM 9/2/01 -0500, William Arnal wrote:
        >Nah, for the reasons I've suggested above. I also think I've failed to make
        >myself clear as to what I was getting at on the "burden of proof" argument,
        >so maybe we should drop this. I agree that historical standards should be
        >"more probable than not," but I was trying to get at how certain KINDS of
        >arguments aren't on par with their counter-arguments.

        It seemed to me that your burden of proof argument was that you
        are under no obligation to prove that Q lacked the baptism. Fine,
        but I wasn't asking you to prove that. Rather, when a credible
        case has been made for its inclusion, as it has because it did
        convince the IQP, I was asking for you to point out how the case
        is too weak to sustain the conclusion instead of just telling me
        that you personally weren't persuaded. Since you did attempt to
        point out the case's weaknesses, I would like to thank you for
        that.

        >But on this issue, I'd like to hear what Ted Weeden has to say, when he
        >writes up HIS arguments on this matter.

        Me too, and I hope that he has a good way to deal with the IQP's
        inclusion of the baptism as "probably in Q."

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...