Re: [XTalk] Q, Mark, Galilee

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      Harry Staiti wrote:

      >Is there a connection between the absence of Q sayings in Mark and Mark's
      >presentation of the disciples in a less than complementary manner? If the Q
      >sayings are linked to prophets of the Galillean disciples, and if Mark was in
      >opposition or disagreement with that section of the Jesus movement, it could
      >make sense why he excluded the oral sayings of Q when composing his textual
      >narrative.
      >
      >Any ideas?

      Harry,
      I think you're essentially correct in this, though not the way you've
      worded it, for there are *some* 'Q' sayings in Mark.
      I would put it like this:
      Mark retains a smaller proportion of the sayings from the early sayings
      source (around 45% in my reconstruction) than does Matthew (95%) or Luke
      (85%). This is partly because he has less respect for the source which
      (as I argue on my Web site) was produced by James et al., which ties in
      with Mark's less than complimentary (sic) presentation of the same.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...