"The Hiram Key"

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2001
      Ever since one of my cousins heard that I am interested in historical Jesus
      research, he has been wanting my opinion about The Hiram Key: Pharaohs,
      Freemasons and the Discovery of the Secret Scrolls of Jesus, by Christopher
      Knight, Robert Lomas (1998). According to the Book Description on Amazon.com,
      The Hiram Key is a book that will shake the Christian
      world to its very roots. When Christopher
      Knight and Robert Lomas, both Masons, set out to find
      the origins of Freemasonry they had no idea
      that they would find themselves unraveling the true
      story of Jesus and the original Jerusalem Church.
      As a radically new picture of Jesus started to
      emerge, the authors came to the startling conclusion
      that the key rituals of modern Freemasonry were
      practiced by the early followers of Jesus as a
      means of initiation into their community.
      Another review claims that it is "backed by rigorous analyses of
      ancient Egyptian records, the Old and New Testaments,
      early Christian and Rabbinical texts, the
      Dead Sea Scrolls and the rituals of Freemasonry."
      So, I am not prepared to find the best scholarship in this book, which I do
      not yet have.
      If anyone has a copy, can you tell us what these so-called "secret scrolls"
      are supposed to be? Or is this book a work of fiction from cover to cover?
      Other reviews seem to suggest it is more about Freemasonry than historical
      Jesus scholarship.

      Sorry if this request is a bit more flakey than most, but friends of others
      might be asking about the book, too.

      Thanks,