Re: [XTalk] Re: Jesus' identity and Rise of Christianity

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 28 7:28 AM
      Eric Eve wrote:

      >I'm not so much trying to make a case here as wondering what other
      >XTalkers think about these points.

      I think they're all dead-on right.

      Bill
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 29 9:15 AM
        I have read the list of criterion used by the Jesus Seminar in dealing with the sayings
        and narratives of the gospels. This was extremely helpful. One issue that I have is
        with the Gospel of Thomas:

        1. This gospel was probably written in the second century according to most Biblical
        scholars. Now, I realize that this doesn't mean that there wasn't an earlier tradition
        that was eventually written down. However, what is the evidence that this was an earlier
        sayings source?

        2. I have read that the Gospel of Thomas shares some sayings with Mark. However,
        doesn't this suggest that the writer of the gospel simply relied upon Mark, not the other
        way around?

        James