[XTalk] Re: The Good Samaritan and Jesus on Purity (was Fredriksen on Purity)

  • The Careys
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 7:09 PM
      Kack wrote,

      >The JS voted red on the parable calling it a classic example of Jesus'
      >provocative style on social and sacred matters. I tend to agree, Jeff.

      But the most influential JS students of the parable -- Funk and Crossan --
      find in it little or nothing to do with purity codes.

      -- Greg Carey

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5 8:39 PM
        Liz Fried wrote:

        > Jeffrey, what do you mean by authentic? A parable that the Historical Jesus
        > actually told? Why not? An incident that really happened? Not at all!
        >
        > Liz

        Standard use of the term "authentic" from the days of the earliest form critics,
        if not before, when applied to Dominica sayings material including but not
        limited to parables, means that such material stems from Jesus himself. No one,
        so far as I know, uses it as in indication that what Jesus talks about in his
        parables were actual historical events.

        As to the inauthenticity in the former sense of the GS, Sanders cites both it's
        single attestation, it's consonance with the themes of other peculiarly Lukan
        parables and other demonstrably Lukan redactional emphases, and the fact that it
        would be difficult to imagine that had this been independent (Q?) tradition
        Matthew would have left it out.

        I'm not saying that it *is* inauthentic: but in the light of Sander's
        considerations, one cannot simply assume that goes back to Jesus.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey B. Gibson
        7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        Chicago, Illinois 60626