[XTalk] Re: Chronology of Jesus & Paul

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 1999
      BobSchacht@... wrote:

      > Hanz Dieter Betz, in his article on Paul for the Anchor Bible Dictionary,
      > constructs a surprising (to me) chronology of Paul's work that has
      > confounding implications for historical Jesus dating.
      >
      > In trying to date the "so-called" apostolic conference described in Galatians
      > 2:1-10, he notes that it presumes that Peter is still in Jerusalem, thus
      > putting it before his departure as reported in Acts 12:17. Galatians 2:1-10
      > also implies James & John, sons of Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the
      > John in verse 9 as John bar Zebedee. If his brother James was assassinated by
      > Herod Agrippa I as described in Acts 12:2, etc., then the Galatians 2
      > apostolic conference must have happened before the death of Herod Agrippa in
      > 44 C.E.
      >
      > Given that datum, we then have the testimony in Gal. 1:18 - 2:1 that the
      > conference occurred 14+3 years after his conversion, which would put his
      > conversion at about 28 C.E. (citing Vielhauer 1975)! Since most estimates of
      > Jesus' crucifixion place it about 33 C.E., something is obviously wrong here.
      > I am surprised that this piece survived the editorial process at ABD, but
      > since it did, Betz's reconstruction must not be totally goofball.
      >
      > What are the best dates for
      > 1. Jesus' crucifixion
      > 2. Paul's conversion
      > 3. The first(?) "apostolic conference" described in Gal. 1:18 with Peter and
      > James "the Lord's brother"
      > 4. The second(?) apostolic conference described in Gal. 2:1-10?
      >
      > Bob
      > nau.edu

      Though there are may good discussions of Paul's chronology (have a look at
      Morphy-O'Connor's [_Paul: A Critical Life_] and Jewett's, the latter being
      influenced
      by Knox's _Chapter's in a Life of Paul_), I would suggest that you have a look at
      the
      discussion of this and the other matters you raise in George Caird's article
      "Chronology, New Testament" in The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. This
      has the
      advantage of setting out the various possibilities for the dates you want
      information
      on, and then discussing the pros and cons of each.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Chicago, Illinois 60626