Re: Sig-lines

  • mgrondin@tir.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
      --- Clive wrote:
      > I ... am quite surprised that anyone takes offense ... especially
      > when one is taking offense on behalf of others who have yet to
      > articulate their own "being offended."

      In my case, Clive, I was not taking offense on behalf of others,
      altho I assume that if I felt offense, others may have also. There
      are two things involved here: one is the arrogance of a religious
      majority throwing its views in the faces of a minority (including
      myself), the other is the usage of a sig-line to constantly repeat
      arguable material. Two examples may suffice:

      I was at a public park one day several years ago. Some kind of
      secular function was going on, I don't recall what. All of a sudden,
      a minister appeared up front and asked everyone to stand up while
      he offered a prayer. I was about the only one who refused to stand.
      It struck me: the absolute arrogance (or blindness?) of the majority
      to assume that everyone goes along with their religious views, so
      that they dare to do this in a public setting! (You must understand
      also that if one perceives oneself as being TOO different, there's a
      sort of unconscious animal-like fear of being done away with by the
      mob.)

      With respect to the second aspect: Some time back, a fellow was
      using his sig-line to quote some controversial thing by N.T.Wright.
      The Wright passage was discussed, and objections offered to it. Yet
      the fellow continued to include it in his sig-line, thus, to my
      mind, implicitly arguing by repetition that Wright was right (g),
      objections to the contrary notwithstanding. This is absolutely
      infuriating to those who offered cogent reasons against the passage
      in the first place. You argue your case in the body of your note,
      not in your sig-line.

      If I might add a third, related item: if we expect or hope for the
      participation of Jewish or Muslim folks on this list, for example,
      we ought to be aware of little things that we ourselves find merely
      amusing, but which might well give the impression to others that
      they're in a foreign land where they aren't welcome.

      Mike G.