[XTalk] Chronology of Jesus & Paul

  • BobSchacht@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 1999
      Hanz Dieter Betz, in his article on Paul for the Anchor Bible Dictionary,
      constructs a surprising (to me) chronology of Paul's work that has
      confounding implications for historical Jesus dating.

      In trying to date the "so-called" apostolic conference described in Galatians
      2:1-10, he notes that it presumes that Peter is still in Jerusalem, thus
      putting it before his departure as reported in Acts 12:17. Galatians 2:1-10
      also implies James & John, sons of Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the
      John in verse 9 as John bar Zebedee. If his brother James was assassinated by
      Herod Agrippa I as described in Acts 12:2, etc., then the Galatians 2
      apostolic conference must have happened before the death of Herod Agrippa in
      44 C.E.

      Given that datum, we then have the testimony in Gal. 1:18 - 2:1 that the
      conference occurred 14+3 years after his conversion, which would put his
      conversion at about 28 C.E. (citing Vielhauer 1975)! Since most estimates of
      Jesus' crucifixion place it about 33 C.E., something is obviously wrong here.
      I am surprised that this piece survived the editorial process at ABD, but
      since it did, Betz's reconstruction must not be totally goofball.

      What are the best dates for
      1. Jesus' crucifixion
      2. Paul's conversion
      3. The first(?) "apostolic conference" described in Gal. 1:18 with Peter and
      James "the Lord's brother"
      4. The second(?) apostolic conference described in Gal. 2:1-10?

      Bob
      nau.edu