[XTalk] Re: Translation from Greek

  • Bernard Muller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
      William Arnal wrote:

      > -- probably for town too, though one doesn't occur to me immediately.

      First, thank you for your help, William. I am very appreciative.
      About town(s), in Wars, Josephus seems to use it only once (according to
      the Whiston's translation). That's in Book I, Ch II, Section 6:
      "So he took Medaba and Samea, with the towns in their neighborhood, as
      also Shechem".
      I wonder what is the Greek word used here for "towns". Would he be
      "polis" or the Greek for "villages", or a special Greek word for
      "towns"?
      Thanks again
      Bernard
      http://www.concentric.net/~Mullerb/

    • Bernard Muller
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
        Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        > You might wish to be aware that the Perseus sire (www.perseus.tufts.edu) has
        > an online edition of both the Greek and the English (Loeb) text of Josephus.
        > More importantly for your question, these texts are morphologically linked, so
        > that from the English text you can easily discover what its Greek exemplar
        > is, and from the Greek one can have any given word parsed and defined.

        Thank you, Jeffrey, and I looked at the site you specified. But the only
        translation they have is Whiston's not Loeb's. I thought I let you know.
        Bernard
        http://www.concentric.net/~Mullerb/

      • William Arnal
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 1999
          At 07:34 PM 7/4/99 -0600, you wrote:

          >About town(s), in Wars, Josephus seems to use it only once (according to
          >the Whiston's translation). That's in Book I, Ch II, Section 6:
          >"So he took Medaba and Samea, with the towns in their neighborhood, as
          >also Shechem".
          >I wonder what is the Greek word used here for "towns". Would he be
          >"polis" or the Greek for "villages", or a special Greek word for
          >"towns"?

          Hilariously, no word at all -- again, the translator has (in my view quite
          properly) supplied the word on the basis of the sense of what Josephus has
          said here -- more or less literally, the text says: "So he took Medaba and
          Samea, along with those neighbouring"

          Bill