[XTalk] Re: Re:Jubilee

  • Liz Fried
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 1999

      At least the way it appears above, that's not the way you've drawn it.
      I think that the book of Juiblees assumed a 49 year cycle. I think that
      somewhere near the end of the Persian period the Jubilee was dropped as a
      second fallow year. I think in Jubilees the seventh sabbatical year is the
      Jubilee year. I figured out that the sabbatical years in Maccabees only
      made sense if you assume the Jubilee year was dropped near the end of the
      Persian period. If you assume that, then the sabbatical years in Maccabees
      fit in with the sabbatical and juiblee years I had determined for the
      Monarchic period.

      > RSV Leviticus 25:8 "And you shall count
      > seven weeks of years, seven times seven
      > years, so that the time of the seven
      > weeks of years shall be to you forty-nine
      > years.
      That is, forty-nine complete years.

      9 Then
      *after* the completion of the 49th year.

      you shall send abroad the
      > loud trumpet on the tenth day of the
      > seventh month; on the day of atonement
      > you shall send abroad the trumpet
      > throughout all your land.
      Although it says the seventh month to conform to
      the Babylonian calendar,
      the Jewish New Year was in the fall, the first day of the 7th
      month was the first day of the year.
      The 10th day of the seventh month signalled the
      end of the New Year's festivities, and the beginning of the next year.

      10 And you shall
      > hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim
      > liberty throughout the land to all its
      > inhabitants;
      This is proclaimed at the *beginning* of the 50th year.

      it shall be a jubilee for you,
      > when each of you shall return to his
      > property and each of you shall return to
      > his family.
      Complete manumission of all the slaves,
      no matter how long each has worked for you.

      11 A jubilee shall that fiftieth
      > year be to you; in it you shall neither
      > sow, nor reap what grows of itself, nor
      > gather the grapes from the undressed
      > vines. 12 For it is a jubilee; it shall be
      > holy to you; you shall eat what it yields
      > out of the field. 13 "In this year of jubilee
      > each of you shall return to his property.

      Everyone returns to the status quo ante.

      Liz
      Lisbeth S. Fried
      Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies
      New York University
      51 Washington Sq. S.
      New York, NY 10012
      lqf9256@...
      lizfried@...

    • Michael T. MacDonell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 1999
        Dear All:

        Is there a searchable archive up and running? If so, does it include the
        old Crosstalk postings? If not, how can they be accessed.

        Sorry to be dense, this has probably been discussed already.

        Best Regards,
        Mike MacDonell