Fwd: Re: [XTalk] how about Jesus?

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2001
      >At 2:44 PM -0800 7/29/01, Steve Black wrote:
      >>Bill wrote
      >> >
      >>... What are the implications for the historical Jesus of either
      >>the acceptance of Q
      >> >(and particular conclusions of Q scholarship) or its rejection?
      >

      >Jim responded
      >Q tells us that Jesus was a teacher/wise man. Not much of anything else
      >besides perhaps a mystical teacher...

      It seems that this question has many answers, depending on what's meant.

      Mack, I believe, would only include the earliest layer of Q,
      excluding all later layers as inauthentic.
      He also excludes (mostly) everything else.
      With that we would arrive at a teacher/wise person scenario. (Mack's
      pseudo-Cynic)

      If the later apocalyptic layers are included what would that then mean?

      Is it reasonable to exclude everything except Q in constructing a HJ?
      Is it reasonable to exclude everything except for the earliest layer
      of Q in constructing a HJ?

      --
      Peace

      Steve Black