RE: [XTalk] Parable of the Sower

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 2, 2001
      William said:

      >>I don't follow what is meant by a 2-5x return on planting grain
      seeds.<<

      In ancient times, and even recently in regions where subsistence
      (i.e., relatively unmechanized) farming is common, the yield is not
      represented as volume of grain but by the volume of grain returned
      divided by the volume of grain sown. If you sow a bushel of wheat
      (using modern US measure), you expect (maybe pray for) 5 bushels
      reaped. The yield seems to have varied between 4x and 6x, according to
      the Turkish study (circa 1950, and using relatively primitive farming
      techniques resembling that of 1st century Palestine) mentioned in an
      earlier post.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA