RE: [XTalk] The parabolic jolt

  • Russ Conte
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Richard mallet notes:
      >>Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30, 60,
      100 in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
      >>lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-

      These numbers can be precisely derived at least two different ways, one
      as a numerical sequence, one as points on a parabola, as follows:

      30 = 2 * 15
      60 = 3 * 20
      100 = 4 * 25

      This makes the pattern obvious. These numbers can also be found in the
      following equation (which is a parabola, by the way):

      y = 5x^2+15x+10

      Substituting the values of 1, 2 and 3 for x will yield 30, 60 and 100
      for y.

      Interpretation is hardly my strong suit, but these numbers do not go
      along a linear path. They continue to get bigger on an exponential
      basis. For example, the next numbers would by 150, 210, 280, 360, 450,
      550 and 660. Whatever is being referenced in the parable, it seems fair
      to me to say that the return on investment will not be linear, but
      exponential, and maybe that's the point of the parable.

      Just my modest 2¢.

      Russ Conte
    • Barbara Leger
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001
        And then we have to ask ourselves:

        (1) What esoteric meaning does the parabola have?
        (2) What esoteric meanings lie in the numbers you and others have provided here?

        I think you're onto something here. Just my 2 cents as well.*S*

        Barb Leger