Re: [XTalk] Parable of the Sower

  • Leon Albert
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 1, 2001
      John Lupia wrote:

      > By the way, both of these scientists found ancient pollen of
      > Gundelia tournefortii on the Holy Shroud of Turin which they consider
      > apodictic evidence of its authenticity.
      > Peace in Christ,
      > John
      > <><

      So, now we have "apodictic" evidence of its authenticity, huh? I guess
      we can place this alongside the "apodictic" evidence of its
      inauthenticity, i.e., the independent C14 datings that place it
      unambiguously in the middle ages, a time notorious for the production of
      fake relics and pilgrimages to the Holy land. I don't suppose some of
      those many pilgims could have inadvertently picked up any pollen and
      "redeposited" it on the shroud ...?
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 2, 2001
        William said:

        >>I don't follow what is meant by a 2-5x return on planting grain

        In ancient times, and even recently in regions where subsistence
        (i.e., relatively unmechanized) farming is common, the yield is not
        represented as volume of grain but by the volume of grain returned
        divided by the volume of grain sown. If you sow a bushel of wheat
        (using modern US measure), you expect (maybe pray for) 5 bushels
        reaped. The yield seems to have varied between 4x and 6x, according to
        the Turkish study (circa 1950, and using relatively primitive farming
        techniques resembling that of 1st century Palestine) mentioned in an
        earlier post.

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA