RE: [XTalk] Parable of the Sower

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 1, 2001
      David C. Hindley wrote:

      A report from the excavations of Jericho (through the Middle Bronze period)
      is at:
      http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/4770/jericho2.html

      I recall having read an article regarding emmer wheat and emmer rye dating
      to 8,000 BC in Palestine and its harvesting published in the journal Science
      (1993). Sorry. but I cannot find my notes that give the full citation but
      is is easy enough to look up in any library, or through a print or CD-Rom
      version of BIOSIS or Science Abstracts. This article was very extensive.
      Moreover, Dr. Avinoam Danin Professor of Botany, Department of Evolution,
      Systematics, and Ecology The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel is the
      world's leading Israeli botanist. He published nine books in Hebrew on the
      flora of the Middle East. Seven additional books of his are available in
      English.

      Avinoam Danin & Gideon Gorshan, eds., Vegetation of Israel (Leiden:
      Backhuys, 1999)

      Flora of the Shroud of Turin (St. Louis, 1999)

      Avinoam Danin et alia, eds., Results of the Second "Iter Mediterraneum" in
      Israel, March - April 1989 (Palermo, OPTIMA Herbarium Mediterraneum
      Panormitanum, 1992)

      Naomi and Avinoam Danin, "Guide to Wildflowers of Israel", (Jerusalem, 1991)

      Avinoam Danin, Plants of Desert Dunes

      Avinoam Danin, Desert Vegetation of Israel and Sinai (Jerusalem,1983)

      Brakha Avigad & Avinoam Danin, Flowers of Jerusalem; thirty-four flowers
      growing in Jerusalem (Jerusalem & Tel Aviv, 1977)

      I would suggest contacting him or looking up articles written by him. He
      has made the BioGis Project (begun 1998) a vast database (approx 235,000
      records) on Israeli plants current and paleobotanoc. He works rather
      closely with palynologist Dr. Uri Baruch, Israel Antiquities Authority.
      Don't be afraid to contact him. He's a really friendly and brilliant human
      being. By the way, both of these scientists found ancient pollen of
      Gundelia tournefortii on the Holy Shroud of Turin which they consider
      apodictic evidence of its authenticity.

      Peace in Christ,
      John
      <><

      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
      JLupia2@...
      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
      . unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
      they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • David C. Hindley
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 2, 2001
        William said:

        >>I don't follow what is meant by a 2-5x return on planting grain
        seeds.<<

        In ancient times, and even recently in regions where subsistence
        (i.e., relatively unmechanized) farming is common, the yield is not
        represented as volume of grain but by the volume of grain returned
        divided by the volume of grain sown. If you sow a bushel of wheat
        (using modern US measure), you expect (maybe pray for) 5 bushels
        reaped. The yield seems to have varied between 4x and 6x, according to
        the Turkish study (circa 1950, and using relatively primitive farming
        techniques resembling that of 1st century Palestine) mentioned in an
        earlier post.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA