RE: [XTalk] The parabolic jolt

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Richard mallet notes:

      >>Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30,
      60, 100
      in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
      lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-

      * ;
      ** ;
      = 30 ;

      * ;
      ** ;
      *** ;
      = 60 ;

      * ;
      ** ;
      *** ;
      **** ;
      = 100

      Is it possible that Jesus used a graphical demonstration in his
      teaching
      (with collections of objects that were gradually built up into
      triangles -
      the rule of three again) and thus arrived at the sequence 30, 60, 100
      ?<<

      This seems to most directly address Ted's interest in the possible
      meaning of the numeric progression found in the parable. I suspected
      some sort of progression was being used, but was at a total loss to
      figure out what it came from. What does it all mean in interpretive
      terms, though? It would suggest that the author of the parable was
      mathematically inclined, and familiar with progressions. Perhaps a bit
      of Gematria was intended.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    • Russ Conte
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        Richard mallet notes:
        >>Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30, 60,
        100 in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
        >>lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-

        These numbers can be precisely derived at least two different ways, one
        as a numerical sequence, one as points on a parabola, as follows:

        30 = 2 * 15
        60 = 3 * 20
        100 = 4 * 25

        This makes the pattern obvious. These numbers can also be found in the
        following equation (which is a parabola, by the way):

        y = 5x^2+15x+10

        Substituting the values of 1, 2 and 3 for x will yield 30, 60 and 100
        for y.

        Interpretation is hardly my strong suit, but these numbers do not go
        along a linear path. They continue to get bigger on an exponential
        basis. For example, the next numbers would by 150, 210, 280, 360, 450,
        550 and 660. Whatever is being referenced in the parable, it seems fair
        to me to say that the return on investment will not be linear, but
        exponential, and maybe that's the point of the parable.

        Just my modest 2¢.

        Russ Conte
      • Barbara Leger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001
          And then we have to ask ourselves:

          (1) What esoteric meaning does the parabola have?
          (2) What esoteric meanings lie in the numbers you and others have provided here?

          I think you're onto something here. Just my 2 cents as well.*S*

          Barb Leger