[XTalk] The parabolic jolt

  • Richard Mallett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Reply to : Jan Sammer

      >> This means that no parabolic jolt is implied.
      What is noticeable about the actual figures is that 30 and 60 belong to the
      sexagesimal system common in Mesopotamia while 100 belongs to the decimal
      system characteristic of Egyptian mathematics. In GMark one would be led to
      expect the progression 30, 60, 120, but instead one gets 30, 60, 100. I
      wonder if this fact is of any significance <<

      Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30, 60, 100
      in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
      lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-

      * ;
      ** ;
      = 30 ;

      * ;
      ** ;
      *** ;
      = 60 ;

      * ;
      ** ;
      *** ;
      **** ;
      = 100

      Is it possible that Jesus used a graphical demonstration in his teaching
      (with collections of objects that were gradually built up into triangles -
      the rule of three again) and thus arrived at the sequence 30, 60, 100 ?

      Richard.

      E-mail from: Richard Mallett, 01-Jul-2001
    • Jan Sammer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        From: Richard Mallett:

        > Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30, 60, 100
        > in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
        > lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-
        >
        > * ;
        > ** ;
        > = 30 ;
        >
        > * ;
        > ** ;
        > *** ;
        > = 60 ;
        >
        > * ;
        > ** ;
        > *** ;
        > **** ;
        > = 100
        >
        > Is it possible that Jesus used a graphical demonstration in his teaching
        > (with collections of objects that were gradually built up into triangles -
        > the rule of three again) and thus arrived at the sequence 30, 60, 100 ?
        >
        > Richard.

        I am not sure that you are right in your solution (my reservations have
        mainly to do with the chopped-off zeroes), but I appreciate the effort at
        dealing with the actual figures, rather than just discussing whether they're
        reasonable, disproportionate, ascending or descending. Frankly I do not
        think we have a satisfactory solution yet.

        Jan
      • David C. Hindley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
          Richard mallet notes:

          >>Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30,
          60, 100
          in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
          lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-

          * ;
          ** ;
          = 30 ;

          * ;
          ** ;
          *** ;
          = 60 ;

          * ;
          ** ;
          *** ;
          **** ;
          = 100

          Is it possible that Jesus used a graphical demonstration in his
          teaching
          (with collections of objects that were gradually built up into
          triangles -
          the rule of three again) and thus arrived at the sequence 30, 60, 100
          ?<<

          This seems to most directly address Ted's interest in the possible
          meaning of the numeric progression found in the parable. I suspected
          some sort of progression was being used, but was at a total loss to
          figure out what it came from. What does it all mean in interpretive
          terms, though? It would suggest that the author of the parable was
          mathematically inclined, and familiar with progressions. Perhaps a bit
          of Gematria was intended.

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA
        • Russ Conte
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
            Richard mallet notes:
            >>Personally, with a mathematical background, I see the sequence 30, 60,
            100 in terms of triangular numbers 3, 6, 10 (each multiplied by 10) and
            >>lending itself to a graphic demonstration, thus :-

            These numbers can be precisely derived at least two different ways, one
            as a numerical sequence, one as points on a parabola, as follows:

            30 = 2 * 15
            60 = 3 * 20
            100 = 4 * 25

            This makes the pattern obvious. These numbers can also be found in the
            following equation (which is a parabola, by the way):

            y = 5x^2+15x+10

            Substituting the values of 1, 2 and 3 for x will yield 30, 60 and 100
            for y.

            Interpretation is hardly my strong suit, but these numbers do not go
            along a linear path. They continue to get bigger on an exponential
            basis. For example, the next numbers would by 150, 210, 280, 360, 450,
            550 and 660. Whatever is being referenced in the parable, it seems fair
            to me to say that the return on investment will not be linear, but
            exponential, and maybe that's the point of the parable.

            Just my modest 2¢.

            Russ Conte
          • Barbara Leger
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2001
              And then we have to ask ourselves:

              (1) What esoteric meaning does the parabola have?
              (2) What esoteric meanings lie in the numbers you and others have provided here?

              I think you're onto something here. Just my 2 cents as well.*S*

              Barb Leger