Re: [XTalk] Historical Jesus. Theissen Merz

  • Peter Kirby
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      From: Brian McCarthy <brmcc@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 9:24 AM
      Subject: [XTalk] Historical Jesus. Theissen Merz

      > Peter,
      >
      > Thank you for this interesting overview. The book has been out for several
      years but has not been discussed as much as I would have expected.

      > Three Questions:
      >
      > 1) Do they open up the question of the historicity of the Synoptic
      scenario which has Jesus dying on a cross within a week of his first (first
      public?) visit to Jerusalem; or do they just go along with it?

      Although the issue isn't discussed, the authors seem to accept that in his
      ministry Jesus made only a short visit to Jerusalem, during a Passover, at
      the end of his life.

      "At the end of his life, Jesus and his disciples went to Jerusalem for the
      Passover feast." (p. 178)

      "When he went up to Jerusalem he became a victin of these tensions." (p.
      181)

      > 2) Do they take note of Wellhausen's remark that Jesus' public activity
      was cut short quite unexpectedly almost as soon as it had got started? And
      of the effect that this would have had on the disciples?

      No, this is not mentioned.

      > 3) Do they discuss the q. of Jesus' language in his public teaching:
      Aramaic only; or also Greek--to explain or at least allow an easy transition
      to our Greek Q?

      No, this is not discussed.

      best,
      Peter Kirby