Historical Jesus. Theissen Merz

  • Brian McCarthy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Peter,

      Thank you for this interesting overview. The book has been out for several years but has not been discussed as much as I would have expected.

      Three Questions:

      1) Do they open up the question of the historicity of the Synoptic scenario which has Jesus dying on a cross within a week of his first (first public?) visit to Jerusalem; or do they just go along with it?

      2) Do they take note of Wellhausen's remark that Jesus' public activity was cut short quite unexpectedly almost as soon as it had got started? And of the effect that this would have had on the disciples?

      3) Do they discuss the q. of Jesus' language in his public teaching: Aramaic only; or also Greek--to explain or at least allow an easy transition to our Greek Q?

      Brian McCarthy