Re: [XTalk] Re: Prophecy Historicized

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 28, 2001
      At 4:47 AM on June 28, Mark Goodacre posted:

      > In the mean time, let me simply say that I am not convinced by
      > the simple, polarizing contrast of prophecy historicized / history
      > remembered, especially the use of the latter term. I want to
      > propose a fresh model in which there was an intimate interaction
      > between historical event and Scriptural reflection: events generated
      > Scriptural reflection, which in turn influenced the way the events
      > were remembered and retold.

      OK, Mark, I have to ask: when you were consulted on that Jesus image
      [still available at
      http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-105319,00.html%5d were you
      assuming that Tertullian wasn't just historicizing Isaiah 53 but that
      there must be some historical kernel to Tertullian's claim that Jesus
      was ugly? (;[See _On the Flesh of Christ_, 9.136-139; available online
      at http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-03/anf03-39.htm#P9237_2537879%5d

      Best Wishes,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Olson
      Department of History
      2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
      University of Maryland
      College Park, MD 20742
      kaolson@...

      I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything - T.H.
      Huxley
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 2, 2001
        On 28 Jun 2001, at 22:34, Ken Olson wrote:

        > OK, Mark, I have to ask: when you were consulted on that Jesus image
        > [still available at
        > http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-105319,00.html%5d were you
        > assuming that Tertullian wasn't just historicizing Isaiah 53 but that
        > there must be some historical kernel to Tertullian's claim that Jesus
        > was ugly? (;[See _On the Flesh of Christ_, 9.136-139; available online
        > at http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-03/anf03-39.htm#P9237_2537879%5d

        Thanks for making me smile. I deny all responsibility for the
        ugliness of that face; and as the programme pointed out, I was
        asked in to "give it a make-over".

        Thanks for the other useful comments on this thread -- I'll come
        back to them soon.

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT
        United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        Homepage