Re: [XTalk] Jesus and his NT interpreters (Was Mess. Prophecy)

  • Steve Black
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2001
      Brian McCarthy wrote

      >Yes indeed this is Crosstalk and qq should be historical, so here goes:
      >
      >I. a-e) Did Mt think that Jesus saw himself...

      Steve replies
      Your questions reflect an historical sophistication and a theological
      naivete. By confusing and blending together the historical and the
      theological, you make, pardon my boldness, rather simplistic
      conclusions theologically. Because this is a historical group, it is
      hard to address these issues without feeling like I'm pushing the
      boundaries of this list. Suffice it to make one philosophical
      observation.

      All your questions ask about identity. Human identity is a
      mysterious affair. Who I think I am, and who you think I am, and who
      my cat thinks I am, and who my employer thinks I am, etc. - Who is
      right? Who is wrong? Do I get the final word?

      Now what about famous figures in history? If we could bring back
      Hitler to tell us all who he thought he was, his version of his
      identity, I suspect, would be rather different than our version.
      Would [should] he be allowed to have the final word?

      --
      Peace

      Steve Black
      Vancouver, BC