Paul beheaded - ancient references?

  • Russ Conte
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2001
      I'm not sure if this was cited, here's another pair of references I was
      able to find:

      > That Peter
      > is struck, that Stephen is overwhelmed by stones, that James is slain as is
      > a victim at the altar, that Paul is beheaded has been written in their own
      > blood. And if a heretic wishes his confidence to rest upon a public record,
      > the archives of the empire will speak, as would the stones of Jerusalem.
      > We read the lives of the Caesars: At Rome Nero was the first who stained
      > with blood the rising faith. Then is Peter girt by another, when he is made
      > fast to the cross. Then does Paul obtain a birth suited to Roman
      > citizenship, when in Rome he springs to life again ennobled by
      > martyrdom.

      The reference is Tertullian, Scorpiace, chapter 15. It can be found
      online here:

      http://www.gnosis.org/library/ter_scorp.htm

      The above text is from the next to the bottom paragraph.

      Another reference is this one, from Peter of Alexandria, The Canonical
      Epistles, Canon 9 :

      > Thus Peter, the first of the
      > apostles, having been often apprehended, and thrown into prison, and
      > treated with igominy, was last of all crucified at Rome. Likewise also, the
      > renowned Paul having been oftentimes delivered up and brought in peril of
      > death, having endured many evils, and making his boast in his numerous
      > persecutions and afflictions, in the same city was also himself beheaded;

      This can be found online here:

      http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-06/anf06-100.htm#P4318_1290405

      Russ Conte