[XTalk] Re: Jesus bar Abba

  • William E. Arnal
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 1999
      On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Stevan Davies wrote:

      > Long time ago I wrote a piece on this for JBL? and in researching
      > it discovered that two other pieces had been published in
      > high class journals to the same effect (neither of those two
      > authors knew of the others' work). Thing was greatly reduced
      > but got into JBL? anyhow.

      Yes, I'd like a citation for this too.

      Bill
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
        At 11:00 PM 6/29/99 -0400, William E. Arnal wrote:
        >On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Stevan Davies wrote:
        >> Long time ago I wrote a piece on this for JBL? and in researching
        >> it discovered that two other pieces had been published in
        >> high class journals to the same effect (neither of those two
        >> authors knew of the others' work). Thing was greatly reduced
        >> but got into JBL? anyhow.
        >
        >Yes, I'd like a citation for this too.

        Davies, Stevan L. "Who is called Bar Abbas?." New Testament studies 27
        (1981): 260 - 262.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...

      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
          At 11:13 AM 6/30/99 -0500, you wrote:

          >IF Jesus called God "Abba" (or, come to think of it, spoke
          >in tongues which was then interpreted as "Abba")

          what evidence can be proffered which supports the notion that jesus spoke in
          'tongues'?

          ???

          Jim

        • Stevan Davies
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 1999
            From: "Stephen C. Carlson"
            Davies, Stevan L. "Who is called Bar Abbas?."
            New Testament Studies 27 (1981): 260 - 262.

            Yeah, that's it. Not JBL. The two articles I cited therein
            were
            H. J. Rigg "Barabbas" in JBL LXIV 1945 417-56
            and
            H. Z. Maccoby, "Jesus and Barabbas" NTS XVI 1970 55-60

            Jack Kilmon:
            > I don't think I am as skeptical that this was indeed a word
            > often used by the HJ..in spite of its "singular attestation"
            > in Mark. I think its use by Roman Christians, who wouldn't know
            > an Aramaic word if it slapped them on the Toga, indicates that
            > there was some special notice of it..through Paul.

            One would think so. But what seems to me to be happening is
            that people are getting the holyghost and the prompts them into
            glossolalia which comes out initially as abbabbabbaba as
            seems to happen frequently when people first start to speak
            in tongues. Paul indeed then interprets what they are saying
            as "Abba". This is all very nice, but it doesn't seem to have
            anything to do with HJ.

            IF Jesus called God "Abba" (or, come to think of it, spoke
            in tongues which was then interpreted as "Abba") you have
            nice instances of folks associated with him having
            nicknames in the form "bar-nerges" "bar-sabbas" "bar-nabas"
            and "the zealot" "the baptist" "Rocky" "Iscariot" "Thomas"
            etc. making a nickname not at all an unusual thing for that group.
            In the gospel the guy is "ho legomenos" Barabbas which
            I think implies a nickname rather than a proper name.

            Steve