Re: [XTalk] Acts of Pilate

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2001
      The inestimable Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

      It is entirely plausible
      > that the text is something made up from whole cloth by someone who,
      > assuming that there probably was a correspondence between Pilate and
      > Tiberius, used his/her imagination to fill in the gap. We have a similar
      > phenomenon with the apocryphal letter of Paul to the Laodiceans.

      I agree with you only on the grounds that it be stated "> assuming the
      correspondence between Pilate and
      > Tiberius," rather than as you did "> assuming that there probably was a
      correspondence between Pilate and
      > Tiberius," Of course this is what I was attempting to say when I
      admitted that it was also equally possible that what we do have is nothing
      more than "a corruption of " or if you prefer "imaginary rendition" of the
      lost archival record.

      Hope all is well with you. I know your hands are full with class preps, and
      ms proposals. Hope all is going well.

      As always wishing you the very best.
      Peace in Christ,
      Cordially,
      John
      <><

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
    • Barlow, James C. DOC
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2001
        They also betray a peculiar penchant for inverted melodrama and are divided
        into scenic interludes based on gospel narrative framework; even their
        author does not purport a claim re. their status as "official
        correspondence" or official documents, but have the ostensible intention of
        answering the question, "Given all the miracles of the Son of God, how could
        the Romans have failed to have recognized him," etc.