[XTalk] Re: Rising after 3 days

  • Gail Dawson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 1999
      In Who Killed Jesus, p. 178, Crossan also cites Raymond Brown on a three-day
      period to confirm death--my additions are bracketed:

      "In Peter [GPet] they want to guard the tomb 'for three days.' Why? I
      agree here with Brown: 'In the GPet storyline the wish to safeguard the
      burial place "for three days" (8:30) need only imply that after such a
      period the imposter would surely be dead.' (1309 note 55)"

      [the page number & notation is to Brown's The Death of the Messiah.]

      There may also be more information about the how the '3 days' were
      understood in Jewish burial tradition in Crossan's The Cross That Spoke (as
      WKJ is a popularization of that), but I don't have a copy.

      Gail Dawson