Re: [XTalk] Mk 14:38 as an allusion to Ps 78?

  • Robert M. Schacht
    Message 1 of 11 , May 28, 2001
      At 08:17 AM 05/28/01, LeeEdgarTyler@... wrote:
      >In a message dated 5/28/2001 8:41:02 AM Canada Central Standard Time,
      >jgibson000@... writes:
      >
      >Jan Sammer
      > >
      > > > In any case I still regard the phrase "the spirit is willing but the
      > flesh
      > > > is weak" as steeped in Pauline thinking.
      > > >

      >Jeffrey Gibson:
      > > It may very well be. I'm just exploring a possibility that so far as I
      > > can see has never been mooted before.
      > >
      >Ed Tyler:
      >Even if the thought is Pauline, that would not preclude an allusion to the
      >Psalm here. There are several examples of the evangelists referring to
      >Psalms and prophecies from their own perspective, and this could well be one.
      >Paul also alludes to the Psalms, as I recall.

      I agree. Furthermore, as long as the Psalm was one that was widely known
      (however one might measure that), I would assume that the Psalm would have
      priority, on grounds of (a) being more widely known, and (b) presumably
      having greater authority.
      (I thought I had a third reason, but it seems to have slipped my mind!)
      I think Jeffrey is to be congratulated for noticing this.