[XTalk] Re: Good News (Jesus, John and History)

  • Sakari H´┐Żkkinen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 1999

      > I would like to know, what is this "good news" that Jesus
      taught?
      > Most people tell me the "good news" is that Jesus came and
      was raised from
      > the dead, that he overcame Satan, etc.. I doubt that was
      the message of the
      > historical Jesus.
      > Therefore I ask you, what was the "good news" the *HJ*
      taught?

      I doubt that the expression "good news" (EUAGGELION) was
      used by HJ in his proclamation. In Mk 1,14 it is said that
      Jesus proclaimed the EUAGGELION TOU QEOU, when he preached
      that the time has fulfilled and the Kingdom of God is near.
      According to Mk this is a summary of Jesus' proclamation and
      he (AMk) called it gospel (EUAGGELION).
      In Lk 4,16ff Jesus is told to have preached in the synagogue
      in his home town and cited Is 61,1 and the word
      EUAGGELISASTHAI. This passage is IMO a construction of Luke
      and does not go back to HJ. However, in it the word
      EUAGGELISASTHAI seems to have a bit different meaning than
      EUAGGELION in Mk 1,14. Common to both passages is that the
      contents of Jesus' proclamation is understood as EUAGGELION.
      To Paul EUAGGELION seems to have meant the story of Jesus'
      death and resurrection, not the words of HJ.

      So, the good news proclaimed by HJ were that the Kingdom of
      God has come (or will come in near future). The KoG is
      something like a coalition (is that a good word? apologies
      for my poor English) of the oppressed people of the land. To
      join the KoG one must "repent" - change his way of life. In
      the KoG there is equality among the participants. KoG can be
      seen as an opposing movement to Roman and pro-Roman Jewish
      government. That is my suggestion.

      Best wishes

      Sakari Hakkinen
      University of Helsinki