Hoffmann on Marcion

  • Brian McCarthy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2001
      Asking for Info.

      1984 saw the publication of Jospeph Hoffmann's "Marcion: on the Restitution of Christianity" in which he argued that Marcion was active in the early decades of the 2nd century (well before he got to Rome);
      and that Luke/Acts and the Pastorals were written to combat his ideas and to 'rescue' Paul for the emerging Great Church.

      I missed the discussion/controversy that it must have provoked. Can anyone indicate a) two or three of the more significant critiques, positive or negative?
      Better still b) perhaps there was one response which has come to be seen as decisive?

      This is only one among a number of things I am presently trying to investigate, so selectivity would be welcome!

      Brian McCarthy
      Madison WI