[XTalk] Re: Rising After 3 days

  • Bernard Muller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 1999
      There is nothing in the O.T. about Jewish burial and "3 days", except
      "buried". Maybe the solution of the enigma is in Roman burial customs.

      From the site: http://www.sfs-h.ac.kr/middle/ahintz/phill.htm
      obviously from a student, I picked up that and put my comments in
      [...]:
      "The last [Roman] burial that I will tell you about is the traditional
      way. There are three parts to the traditional way. They are when the
      dead body is left at home, when the dead body is paraded [Lk7:11-12],
      and (finally), when the dead body is buried.

      The first part is when the dead body is at home. (this is the first
      step) The body is put on a bed in the atrium [in GMark, Jesus' body is
      laid in the man-made cave-tomb, not buried]. (the atrium is the center
      of the courtyard) The body is then covered in flowers and wreaths. If a
      nobleman died, oil would be poured over his body [Mk14:3-8 "... She
      poured perfume [pure nard from a jar] on my body beforehand to prepare
      for my burial."]. If a person who held a political office died, he would
      be dressed in his official robes [Mk15:46 "So Joseph bought some linen
      cloth ... wrapped it in the linen ...". Linen is the fabric of heavenly
      beings, such as the demi-god in Daniel (10:5, 12:6-7) and angels in
      Revelation (15:6)]. If not, the body would be dressed in a toga ...
      If an important citizen died he would stay there for several days [would
      3 days be usual?]."

      Bernard
      http://www.concentric.net/~Mullerb/