[XTalk] OT: Q. Lloyd M. Barre

  • nicolette stepro
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 1999
      Has anyone heard of this gentleman?
      Q: Is this person's ideas re: syncretism
      regarding Judah- yahweh and Israel -El
      w/ Moses introducing an AE element
      into it mainstream?

      I can't remember the url. here is a snippet:
      <P ALIGN="JUSTIFY">Ostensibly, <I>Deconstructing Early Israel </I>is a
      series of lectures
      delivered to upper division college students, yet its larger intended
      audience is any adult that
      has a serious interest in the Old Testament. In the introduction and in
      the first chapter, I discuss
      and describe my new hermeneutical construct through which I am able to
      present a new
      synthetic interpretation of the history, literature, traditions and
      religious developments of early
      Israel (c. 1600-1000). The presentation is new because of some important
      discoveries I made
      while working on this book. I found the presence of certain traditions
      that intentionally
      syncretized or fused separate traditions. Furthermore, by deconstructing
      the syncretism, it
      became obvious that the northern tribes (Israel) were always an
      independent people of the
      southern tribes (Judah). What is shocking to many is that while Judah
      worshipped Yahweh Israel
      worshipped El, and that these two high gods were later syncretized in
      various ways. In one case
      Yahweh was made a god in the pantheon of El Elyon (Deut 32:7-9), in
      another the god El was
      made into a patriarchal alias for Yahweh (Ex 6:3). All of this is
      currently unknown to Old
      Testament scholarship, leaving it befuddled by the covert, syncretistic
      indoctrination at work in
      the traditions.</P>
      <P ALIGN="JUSTIFY">With my basic interpretative principles explained, I
      the follow a
      chronological format, dealing first with the oldest extant tradition of
      the Hebrew Yahwists, those
      who descended from those that followed Abraham to settle in Judah. Here I
      analyze three
      traditions in order to draw a cultural profile of this 16<SUP>th</SUP>
      century Hebrew community. They emerge as an agricultural society that
      included men of letters
      among them to create these stories. The most sophisticated among them is
      based on the
      Babylonian flood story, Atra-hasis. These old traditions show a highly
      development community of
      Hebrew Yahwists who lived in and around Hebron in the southern central
      highlands of Palestine.
      This group also created and transmitted the earliest, seed traditions
      about Abram, the first
      Hebrew, their pioneer and their patriarch.</P>

      It sounds good to me, but being a lay person w/ a superficial education
      in this area, one can draw a line
      between two or three concepts and lead me to drink!

      Any good lists for theOld Testament and Historical Judaism?

      To contact list managers, e-mail us at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com