Re: [XTalk] Re: Jewish Christianity in Alexandria

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2001
      At 10:48 AM 3/12/01 +0100, Karel Hanhart wrote:

      >...I am pleading ti introduce the term 'Judean' [ioudaios] to designate
      >all Jews of the first century, simply because we know so little about that
      >period, even less than a Greek reading Gentile in say Lugdunum (Lyon).
      >Modern people know much about Jews, of course, and we soon make the error
      >of filling out the term "Jewish Christians" with such modern notions. Thus
      >we achieve academic distance, I think, if we say that Simon [Cephas] was a
      >Christian Judean rather than a Jewish Christian.
      >Karel

      Karel,
      The problem with your proposal is that "Judean" carries a double meaning,
      one of which is geographical and political. It does not help your case that
      Judea and Galilee fell into two different Roman administrative areas. It
      certainly sounds strange to my ear to hear the Galilean Peter described as
      a Judean! So I don't think your proposal is going to help much.

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      Northern Arizona University
      Flagstaff, AZ