Re: [XTalk] apples

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2001
      b/t long wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I have been a part of on-going conversations for some time, albeit from the sidelines.
      >
      > I am a religious studies teacher at a high school in Australia.
      >
      > I ask this question - aware that it is not part of the discussion area. Ignore it if I am totally out of line.
      >
      > As I teach the story of Adam and Eve (as myth) I wonder where the apple came from - no translation of the bible has it; is not in the original. I look at Christian iconography. I ask myself why an apple. Is it a pun on malus? That's my best guess. The real reason may be simpler.
      >
      > Can anybody help?

      Let me begin by noting that strictly speaking, this question **is** "out of line". That is to say it really belongs on Jim West's Biblical Studies Discussion List at

      in that (so far as I can see) it has almost nothing to do with the stated focus of XTalk.

      Be that as it may, I note that you are on the right track in sussing out why apple became synonymous with what actually is only denoted as "fruit" in Genesis. A full discussion of this took place some time ago on the Classics List. And I'm replying on this matter because I you message
      gives me an opportunity to draw List Member's attention to the availability of the Classics List's archives, which can be searched by going to:

      http://www.plexoft.com/DTF/tint.html

      To see what was said on your question, go there and search under "bad apple".

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2001
        Dear Brian,

        I don't have the answer for why an "apple", but I am of the understanding
        that pseudeographic literature understands the Tree of Life is a date-palm,
        while some have argued that the Tree of Knowledge was a fig-tree (because
        Adam and Eve cover themselves with fig leaves upon realizing they are
        naked). I recall reading somewhere that pomengranates have also been
        suggested.

        All the best, Walter

        Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
        Walldorf by Heidelberg