Re: [XTalk]Religion and Politics in the first two centuries CE

  • Walter Mattfeld
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Dear Mr. Choi,

      It is my understanding that in antiquity there was no separation of politics
      and religion. The King was also a sort of Priest to some extent, the temple
      supported politics. As both politics and religion are concerned with
      controlling people, perhaps politics arose out of competing relgious
      ideologies originally ?

      The first two centuries CE and its political developments, are to some
      degree driven by religious issues. A nice overview of politics and religion
      can be had in Arnold Toynbee's The Crucible of Christianity, Judaism,
      Hellenism and the Historical Background to the Christian Faith (N.Y. World
      Publishing Co., 1969, also imprinted under Thames & Hudson, London).

      Another useful work is Professor Barry Cunliffe's Rome and Her Empire (N.Y.
      McGraw-Hill.1978) for a broad synthesis.

      All the best, Walter

      Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
      Walldorf by Heidelberg
      Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany
      http://bibleorigins.homestead.com/index.html
    • hstaiti@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
        I highly recommend Justo Gonzalez' "The Story of Christianity." Formally in
        two volumes and very expensive, CBD is now offering this standard in one
        volume, and for less than $10. It is a limited offer, so you will have to get
        it soon.

        I believe it is at www.christianbooks.com.

        This is a history which gives attention tot he social, political, economic as
        well as religious climate in which Church history developed.

        Peace to you,
        Harry Staiti