[XTalk]Religion and Politics in the first two centuries CE

  • Junghwa Choi
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Sorry for cross-posting for those who are members of IOU.

      Hello,
      I am looking for the relationship between religion (religoius beliefs) and politics (political actions) in the first two centuries CE. I will appreciate it, if anyone could recommend books or articles. Thanks!

      Best,
      Junghwa Choi

      ---
      Junghwa Choi
      Oriental Studies
      University of Oxford
      E-mail: jhchoi2001@...;
      junghwa.choi@...

    • Walter Mattfeld
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Dear Mr. Choi,

        It is my understanding that in antiquity there was no separation of politics
        and religion. The King was also a sort of Priest to some extent, the temple
        supported politics. As both politics and religion are concerned with
        controlling people, perhaps politics arose out of competing relgious
        ideologies originally ?

        The first two centuries CE and its political developments, are to some
        degree driven by religious issues. A nice overview of politics and religion
        can be had in Arnold Toynbee's The Crucible of Christianity, Judaism,
        Hellenism and the Historical Background to the Christian Faith (N.Y. World
        Publishing Co., 1969, also imprinted under Thames & Hudson, London).

        Another useful work is Professor Barry Cunliffe's Rome and Her Empire (N.Y.
        McGraw-Hill.1978) for a broad synthesis.

        All the best, Walter

        Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
        Walldorf by Heidelberg
        Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany
        http://bibleorigins.homestead.com/index.html
      • hstaiti@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
          I highly recommend Justo Gonzalez' "The Story of Christianity." Formally in
          two volumes and very expensive, CBD is now offering this standard in one
          volume, and for less than $10. It is a limited offer, so you will have to get
          it soon.

          I believe it is at www.christianbooks.com.

          This is a history which gives attention tot he social, political, economic as
          well as religious climate in which Church history developed.

          Peace to you,
          Harry Staiti