Re: [XTalk] Applying sociological models to assist historical conclusions

  • Daniel Grolin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
      Dear Bob,

      Thank you for your thoughts on the issue. Here just a few remarks on your
      post.

      I think that (cross cultural) anthropology is valuable as well, certainly
      Crossan brings out some interesting points. What I am thinking of is more
      sociology, that is to say, how communities act as a group. How does the
      community form, how does the community react to new circumstances and how
      do we interpret shifts in outlook?

      What I am thinking of is the procedure used by Rodney Stark: observe
      groups (such as Unification Church) and identify factors and formulate the
      social rational and see if these applies to known factors in the other
      religion.

      Malina may be the "reigning King of anthropology", but I am sure that his
      kingdom has a permanent place in NT studies an important future in HJ
      studies. :-)

      I think that a difference between Esler and Malina, and Crossan is that
      the former represent sociology (and/or anthropology) applied to the NT,
      where as the latter represent history using sociology. The difference lies
      amongst other in purpose. Also a historian is better able to sort through
      the sources that help establish which models are to be used. A sociologist
      has thorough knowledge of the full range of models available and how they
      are applied. As time goes on I am certain that this field will be
      developed with greater equilibrium and that people will study NT sociology
      and not just sociologist or historians working in fields that are somewhat
      unfamiliar with them.

      Regards,

      Daniel