Re: Ftnote on FASI in Eus + Clement

  • Thomas A. Kopecek
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2001
      --- In crosstalk2@egroups.com, "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@m...>
      wrote:

      > I'm on travel for the next couple of days, so I don't have ready
      > access to Grant, which I am interested in looking at. Did Grant
      > give reasons for why he takes the 2.15 FASI passage as coming
      > from Clement?

      You may not have received my final post on Eusebius and Clement
      before you sent this question.

      No, Grant doesn't give reasons. And you will see that he takes
      Peter's non-endorsement of the Gospel of Mark in 6:14 very seriously
      as undoubtedly going back to Clement. Grant is just willing to
      entertain the possibility that the tradition of the apostle ratifying
      the document for reading in the churches and the tradition of Peter's
      not disapproving or approving of Mark's Gospel are both Clementine.
      But Grant is characteristically cagey, for his phraseology suggests
      that he is not sure that Eusebius is coming clean regarding the first
      tradition, that is, the positive one reported in 2:15. So there is
      nothing in his discussion that would call into question the substance
      of your reconstruction and something to support it.

      I've already posted my own satisfaction with the way you've sorted
      things out. I confess that I became more interested in Eusebius and
      Clement than with trying to trace the Peter/Mark trajectory all the
      way back to the first century. For me Eusebius and Clement are rather
      "early" material.

      Without direct access to Clement's Outlines it is impossible to
      decide positively about that FASI passage, as you've admitted. But
      I'll keep this particular issue of phraseology and literary convention
      in mind when I poke around in Eusebius' and Clement's Greek in
      connection with my normal research (such as it is), which employs the
      histories of Socrates, Sozomen, Theodoret, and Philostorgius far more
      than that of Eusebius. The convention of reporting a variety of
      different versions of an historical event is, of course, common in the
      later histories as well. I ran a complete search on FASI passages in
      Clement's Stromata: he seems to employ it in the standard way.

      Tom

      ___
      Thomas A. Kopecek
      Professor of Religion