Re: [XTalk] Debate about Peter

  • Jan Sammer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2001
      From: "Bob Schacht" <r_schacht@...>

      > I think this is a bit extreme. If, as conventionally thought, Mark was
      > written around 70 C.E., then it was written within 10 years of Peter's
      > death, and it seems likely that information about Peter was available
      > without having to make it up.

      This presumed difficulty is even more daunting if we hypothesize that GMark
      was written in Peter's lifetime by someone interested in defending Paul
      against charges of propagating a superstitio. The argument for the defense
      is that Paul is advocating a religio licita, i.e., Judaism, of a form more
      authentic than that practiced by those in charge of the Temple. Since Paul's
      position on gentile converts had come under criticism from the Jewish
      diaspora evangelized by Peter, it was necessary for Mark, in order to block
      Paul's accusers from pursuing this avenue of attack, to try to reduce
      Peter's authority. Moreover, in order to relieve Paul of blame for the acts
      and deeds of others claiming apostolic authority from Jesus, the author of
      GMark presents all of such claimants as not having correctly understood
      Jesus' message. Paul, on the other hand, claimed to have received his
      information directly from Jesus and to have understood it correctly. Viewed
      in this light, Jesus' rejection of his own family as presented in GMark may
      indicate that this family was at odds with the Roman administration of Judea
      of ca. 60 A.D., and that Mark therefore decided that dissociating Jesus
      from it would make him more acceptable in Roman eyes.

      This brief outline of my thesis explains why I disagree with Bob's
      reasoning. Mark didn't make up information about Peter because none was
      available, but rather because consistent with his purpose he needed to
      portray Peter in a way that would be the most conducive to the success of
      Paul's gentile mission (or, if my thesis is correct, to Paul's success at
      his trial in Rome)

      Jan