Re: [XTalk] Shroud was Re: Jesus as a man of colour

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
      .Billy Evans wrote:

      > Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:
      >
      > So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
      > splinters
      > > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
      > > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
      > > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
      > And
      >
      > According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
      > bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
      > that I must have missed your point.

      Um ...could I please have the reference(s) from Acts on this matter?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
        Jeff:

        Acts 19:11-12 says: "And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of
        Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the
        sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them."

        Then there is Acts 5:15 which supports the notion of magic associated with
        Peter: "so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid
        them on beds and pallets, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might
        fall on some of them."

        I remember reading years ago the number of church fathers who acknowledged
        the large numbers of people who kept cloths etc of Christian miracle workers
        of the first century. Maybe, Quatson's Patrology will provide this
        information under Acts 19:11-12.

        I wish I could be of more help.

        --William J Evans Jr
        grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
        Dissertation with UNISA
        10251 Pendery Drive
        Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
        bevans@...

        ----------
        >From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
        >To: crosstalk2@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Shroud was Re: Jesus as a man of colour
        >Date: Mon, Jan 1, 2001, 6:00 PM
        >

        > .Billy Evans wrote:
        >
        >> Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:
        >>
        >> So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
        >> splinters
        >> And
        >>
        >> According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
        >> bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
        >> that I must have missed your point.
        >
        > Um ...could I please have the reference(s) from Acts on this matter?
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        > 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        > Chicago, Illinois 60626
        > e-mail jgibson000@...

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
          Many thanks for all the helpful feedback on the question of "Jesus
          as a person of colour". I've tried to sketch out some bits and
          bobs on my "Jesus" web site at:

          http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre/jesus/colour.htm

          I should stress that this is just a short sketch of some of the
          relevant issues as I have picked them up in the literature and it will
          want a lot of revising as time goes on. It's an area where I'm
          trying to learn, so all help is much appreciated.

          Best wishes
          Mark

          Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
          Birmingham B15 2TT
          United Kingdom

          http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
          Homepage