Re: [XTalk] Shroud was Re: Jesus as a man of colour

  • Billy Evans
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
      Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:

      So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
      splinters
      > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
      > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
      > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
      And

      According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
      bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
      that I must have missed your point.

      --William J Evans Jr
      grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
      Dissertation with UNISA
      10251 Pendery Drive
      Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
      bevans@...

      ----------

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
        .Billy Evans wrote:

        > Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:
        >
        > So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
        > splinters
        > > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
        > > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
        > > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
        > And
        >
        > According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
        > bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
        > that I must have missed your point.

        Um ...could I please have the reference(s) from Acts on this matter?

        Yours,

        Jeffrey Gibson
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
          Jeff:

          Acts 19:11-12 says: "And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of
          Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the
          sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them."

          Then there is Acts 5:15 which supports the notion of magic associated with
          Peter: "so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid
          them on beds and pallets, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might
          fall on some of them."

          I remember reading years ago the number of church fathers who acknowledged
          the large numbers of people who kept cloths etc of Christian miracle workers
          of the first century. Maybe, Quatson's Patrology will provide this
          information under Acts 19:11-12.

          I wish I could be of more help.

          --William J Evans Jr
          grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
          Dissertation with UNISA
          10251 Pendery Drive
          Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
          bevans@...

          ----------
          >From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
          >To: crosstalk2@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Shroud was Re: Jesus as a man of colour
          >Date: Mon, Jan 1, 2001, 6:00 PM
          >

          > .Billy Evans wrote:
          >
          >> Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:
          >>
          >> So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
          >> splinters
          >> And
          >>
          >> According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
          >> bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
          >> that I must have missed your point.
          >
          > Um ...could I please have the reference(s) from Acts on this matter?
          >
          > Yours,
          >
          > Jeffrey Gibson
          > --
          > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
          > 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
          > Chicago, Illinois 60626
          > e-mail jgibson000@...

          > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
            Many thanks for all the helpful feedback on the question of "Jesus
            as a person of colour". I've tried to sketch out some bits and
            bobs on my "Jesus" web site at:

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre/jesus/colour.htm

            I should stress that this is just a short sketch of some of the
            relevant issues as I have picked them up in the literature and it will
            want a lot of revising as time goes on. It's an area where I'm
            trying to learn, so all help is much appreciated.

            Best wishes
            Mark

            Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
            Birmingham B15 2TT
            United Kingdom

            http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
            Homepage