Re: [XTalk] Re: The Historical Nazareth

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      At 09:06 PM 12/31/00 -0800, Weasel wrote:
      >At 22:02 12/31/2000 +0000, Teresa wrote:
      >
      >Many thanks for this information I have two comments though.
      >

      > > Reed notes that first century Nazareth
      > >"was much more modest and simple, and agricultural, and was confined
      > >to an area of around 4 hectares", and the size of the site suggests
      > >a population of less than 4000 people, according to James F. Stange.
      >

      >Much less than 4000, a number of 100 to 300 would appear more reasonable.

      This used to be a specialty of mine, and I agree with "Weasel" that 4000 is
      way too high. Population densities of 1000 per hectare might be found in
      some contemporary urban centers, but not in an agricultural village. I
      wouldn't argue with the estimate of 100 to 300, but that might be a little
      low.
      Fortunately, I now see that Teresa has corrected her typo: 400 is certainly
      a reasonable estimate.

      > >Little first century material culture has been found, mostly limited
      > >to subterranean cisterns, storage bins and caves because of overlying
      > >later Christian constructions.
      >
      >Does Reed explain how this material was dated? This material is inorganic
      >so C14 dating is out.

      Usually the dating is done on the basis of trash (e.g., broken pottery)
      found in the bottom of the features.

      >Weasel
      >(Mustela nivalis)

      It is my impression that psuedonyms are not appropriate on this list.
      Please identify yourself properly.

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      Northern Arizona University