Re: [XTalk] [Fwd: [Synoptic-L] In Memoriam - William R. Farmer]

  • William E. Arnal
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      > I'm forwarding a Synoptic-L message that I know will be of interest to
      > many XTalkers.

      Thank you Jeffrey; this is sad news indeed. For what it's
      worth, I remember meeting Professor Farmer about 3 years ago
      -- I had just finshed my Ph.D. and moved to New York, and
      Kloppenborg was in town for a synoptic problem conference,
      and I went up to the conference site to have lunch with him.
      We walked into the lunch room, and there was a
      gentle-looking elderly man sitting by himself at a table,
      and we went to join him. Kloppenborg introduced me to him as
      Bill Farmer. As a Q person, of course, I had always rearded
      Farmer to be the devil incarnate, and so was utterly shocked
      to be having lunch with this man -- and he had no horns OR
      pointed tail! I couldn't believe it. Over lunch he
      solicitously asked me about my thesis, which was on Q, and
      discussed my interests and arguments, all the while acting
      like this was a perfectly reasonable and interesting thing
      to do -- working on a text Farmer himself had devoted much
      of his scholarship to debunking! I always appreciated his
      major book on the synoptic problem (while disagreeing with
      much of it, of course), but was even more impressed at what
      a kind, generous, and civil human being he was. This is
      indeed a sad moment for the the field.

      Bill
      William E. Arnal e-mail: wea1@...
      Religious Studies/Classics New York University