Re: [XTalk] Re: Jesus as a man of colour

  • Lorna Wilson
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 26, 2000
      Robert,

      I am entering into this conversation late regarding possible resources for
      "Jesus as the man of colour." Both Stony Road we Trod and Troubling Biblical
      Waters:Race, Class, and Family by Cain Hope Felder are excellent books.

      BTW, I heard that Wimbush presented his book at the SBL in Nashville (I
      pulled info from Amazon):

      African Americans & the Bible : Sacred Text and Social Texture
      by Rosemary C. Rodman (Editor), Vincent L. Wimbush (Editor)
      Our Price: $99.95
      Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days.
      Hardcover - 750 pages (October 2000)
      Continuum Pub Group; ISBN: 0826412939 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.89 x 10.31
      x 6.79 (see attached review)

      Perhaps some other books to be considered:

      Charles Copher, Black Biblical Studies: Biblical and Theological Issues on
      the Black Presence in the Bible, Black Light Fellowship, Chicago, IL,
      0933176-38-4. Tel# (312)563-0081

      Randell Bailey & Jaquelyn Grant,eds. The Recovery of Black Presence:An
      Interdisciplinary Exploration, Abingdon Press, Nashville,0-687-35735-7

      ---Also, might be worthwhile perusing some of the biblical interpretation
      essays in James Cone's work, Documentary History...
      Lorna Wilson

      --------------------------Editorial Reviews-----------------------------
      African Americans & the Bible : Sacred Text and Social Texture

      Genevieve E. Fabre, University of Paris
      "An astoundingly thorough, multi-faceted examination of the ways the African
      American group and the Bible have interaced..."

      Book Description
      A unique study of how the Bible "constructs" African Americans and how
      African Americans "constructs" the Bible.

      Perhaps no other group of people has been as much formed by biblical texts
      and tropes as African Americans. From literture and the arts to popular
      culture and everyday life, the Bible courses through black society and
      culture, like the Mississippi through the American heartland. Despite the
      enormous recent interest in African American religion, relatively little
      attention has been paid to the diversity of ways in which African Americans
      have utilized the Bible.

      African Americans and the Bible is the fruit of a four-year collaborative
      research project directed by Vincent L. Wimbush and funded by the Lilly
      Endowment. It brings together scholars and experts (sixty-eight in all) form
      a wide range of academic and artistic fields and disciplines-inlcuding
      ethnography, cultural history, and biblical studies and also music, film,
      dance, drama, and literature.

      The focus is on the complex interaction between the people known as African
      Americans and that complex of rhetorics, visions, and ideologies known as
      the Bible. As such, the book is less about the meaning(s) of the Bible than
      about the Bible and meaning(s), less about the world(s) of the Bible than
      about how worlds and the Bible interact-in short, about how a text
      constructs a people and a people constructs a text. It is about a particular
      socio-cultural formation but also about the dynamics that obtain in the
      interrelation between any group of people and sacred texts in general. Thus
      African Americans and the Bible provides an exemplum of socio-cultural
      formation and a critical lens through which the process of socio-cultural
      formation can be viewed.

      About the Author
      Vincent L. Wimbush is professor of New Testament and Christian origins at
      Union Theological Seminary in New York. He is the author of Paul the Worldly
      Ascetic; editor of Ascetic Behavior in Greco-Roman Antiquity: A Sourcebook;
      Discursive Formations, Ascetic Piety, and the Interpretation of Early
      Christian Literature; and co-editor of Asceticism.

    • Steve Allison
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 26, 2000
        At 12:59 PM 12/26/2000 +0100, you wrote:

        >Can the Shroud of Turin provide a clue? Without taking sides in this ongoing
        >controversy, I would think that a discussion of the physical appearance of
        >the historical Jesus should at least include a reference to it, on the
        >narrow chance that the shroud really is what it is alleged to be.
        >
        >Jan Sammer

        Doesn't all the evidence point to a provenance in the Middles Ages for this
        artifact? So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time, splinters
        of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing to
        do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
        in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it? And
        all the other church fathers. The carbon dating, verified by several
        independent investigators, is surely telling.

        Steve Allison
        Knoxville, TN
      • Robert M. Schacht
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 26, 2000
          At 05:48 AM 12/26/00 , you wrote:

          > Robert,
          >
          > I am entering into this conversation late regarding possible resources for
          > "Jesus as the man of colour." Both Stony Road we Trod and Troubling Biblical
          > Waters:Race, Class, and Family by Cain Hope Felder are excellent books.

          Lorna,
          So, can you tell us what his conclusion is, concerning Mark Goodacre's question
          about the appearance and/or physical appearance of Jesus? And what evidence he
          uses to support that conclusion?

          > BTW, I heard that Wimbush presented his book at the SBL in Nashville (I
          > pulled info from Amazon):
          >
          > African Americans & the Bible : Sacred Text and Social Texture
          > by Rosemary C. Rodman (Editor), Vincent L. Wimbush (Editor)
          > Our Price: $99.95
          > Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days.
          > Hardcover - 750 pages (October 2000)
          > Continuum Pub Group; ISBN: 0826412939 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.89 x 10.31
          > x 6.79 (see attached review)
          >
          > Perhaps some other books to be considered:
          >
          > Charles Copher, Black Biblical Studies: Biblical and Theological Issues on
          > the Black Presence in the Bible, Black Light Fellowship, Chicago, IL,
          > 0933176-38-4. Tel# (312)563-0081
          >
          > Randell Bailey & Jaquelyn Grant,eds. The Recovery of Black Presence:An
          > Interdisciplinary Exploration, Abingdon Press, Nashville,0-687-35735-7
          >
          > ---Also, might be worthwhile perusing some of the biblical interpretation
          > essays in James Cone's work, Documentary History...
          > Lorna Wilson

          Frankly, I can't see from any of the review comments below what any of this has
          to do with the person of the historical Jesus. Can you enlighten me?

          Thanks,
          Bob

          > --------------------------Editorial Reviews-----------------------------
          > African Americans & the Bible : Sacred Text and Social Texture
          >

          > Genevieve E. Fabre, University of Paris
          > "An astoundingly thorough, multi-faceted examination of the ways the African
          > American group and the Bible have interaced..."
          >
          > Book Description
          > A unique study of how the Bible "constructs" African Americans and how
          > African Americans "constructs" the Bible.
          >
          > Perhaps no other group of people has been as much formed by biblical texts
          > and tropes as African Americans. From literture and the arts to popular
          > culture and everyday life, the Bible courses through black society and
          > culture, like the Mississippi through the American heartland. Despite the
          > enormous recent interest in African American religion, relatively little
          > attention has been paid to the diversity of ways in which African Americans
          > have utilized the Bible.
          >
          > African Americans and the Bible is the fruit of a four-year collaborative
          > research project directed by Vincent L. Wimbush and funded by the Lilly
          > Endowment. It brings together scholars and experts (sixty-eight in all) form
          > a wide range of academic and artistic fields and disciplines-inlcuding
          > ethnography, cultural history, and biblical studies and also music, film,
          > dance, drama, and literature.
          >
          > The focus is on the complex interaction between the people known as African
          > Americans and that complex of rhetorics, visions, and ideologies known as
          > the Bible. As such, the book is less about the meaning(s) of the Bible than
          > about the Bible and meaning(s), less about the world(s) of the Bible than
          > about how worlds and the Bible interact-in short, about how a text
          > constructs a people and a people constructs a text. It is about a particular
          > socio-cultural formation but also about the dynamics that obtain in the
          > interrelation between any group of people and sacred texts in general. Thus
          > African Americans and the Bible provides an exemplum of socio-cultural
          > formation and a critical lens through which the process of socio-cultural
          > formation can be viewed.
          >
          > About the Author
          > Vincent L. Wimbush is professor of New Testament and Christian origins at
          > Union Theological Seminary in New York. He is the author of Paul the Worldly
          > Ascetic; editor of Ascetic Behavior in Greco-Roman Antiquity: A Sourcebook;
          > Discursive Formations, Ascetic Piety, and the Interpretation of Early
          > Christian Literature; and co-editor of Asceticism.

          > eGroups
          > Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=102308.1038796.2731130.908943/D=egroupmail/S
          > =1700077360:N/A=466331/?http://features.yahoo.com/webceleb/carrey/>
          >
          > The XTalk Home Page is <http://www.xtalk.org>http://www.xtalk.org

          > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

        • Jan Sammer
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 27, 2000
            > >Can the Shroud of Turin provide a clue? Without taking sides in this
            ongoing
            > >controversy, I would think that a discussion of the physical appearance
            of
            > >the historical Jesus should at least include a reference to it, on the
            > >narrow chance that the shroud really is what it is alleged to be.
            > >
            > >Jan Sammer
            >
            > Doesn't all the evidence point to a provenance in the Middles Ages for
            this
            > artifact? So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time, splinters
            > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
            > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
            > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it? And
            > all the other church fathers. The carbon dating, verified by several
            > independent investigators, is surely telling.
            >
            > Steve Allison
            > Knoxville, TN

            Reading through various websites on the subject recently, I got the
            impression that the matter was not completely settled as yet. I must agree
            with you that the chances of its being authentic are vanishingly small. Even
            so, it seems to me that a discussion of the physical appearance of the
            historical Jesus ought to make some sort of a reference to it, if only to
            reject the credibility of its evidence.

            Jan
          • Walter Mattfeld
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 27, 2000
              In regards to Jesus' appearance, I might add, that Early Christian art
              frequently shows Jesus as clean-shaven, he has no beard or moustache. Later,
              he acquires the beard. The catacomb wall paintings render his skin color as
              that of a fair European, not dark and swarthy.

              All the best,

              Walter

              Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
              Walldorf by Heidelberg
              Baden-Wurttemburg
              Germany
              http://bibleorigins.homestead.com/index.html

              > > >Can the Shroud of Turin provide a clue? Without taking sides in this
              > ongoing
              > > >controversy, I would think that a discussion of the physical appearance
              > of
              > > >the historical Jesus should at least include a reference to it, on the
              > > >narrow chance that the shroud really is what it is alleged to be.
              > > >
              > > >Jan Sammer
              > >
              > > Doesn't all the evidence point to a provenance in the Middles Ages for
              > this
              > > artifact? So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
              splinters
              > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
              > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
              > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
              And
              > > all the other church fathers. The carbon dating, verified by several
              > > independent investigators, is surely telling.
              > >
              > > Steve Allison
              > > Knoxville, TN
              > >
              > Reading through various websites on the subject recently, I got the
              > impression that the matter was not completely settled as yet. I must agree
              > with you that the chances of its being authentic are vanishingly small.
              Even
              > so, it seems to me that a discussion of the physical appearance of the
              > historical Jesus ought to make some sort of a reference to it, if only to
              > reject the credibility of its evidence.
              >
              > Jan

              > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

            • Jason Godesky
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 27, 2000
                > In regards to Jesus' appearance, I might add, that Early Christian art
                >
                > frequently shows Jesus as clean-shaven, he has no beard or moustache.
                > Later,
                > he acquires the beard. The catacomb wall paintings render his skin
                > color as
                > that of a fair European, not dark and swarthy.
                >
                > All the best,
                >
                > Walter

                I'm only beginning my studies of the historical Jesus, and this
                discussion group has been greatly illuminating in those studies ... I
                intend to continue my lurker-status in the main, but for now, this post
                reminded me of something which some on this list may find interesting
                and pertinent: some time ago, I recall seeing a documentary--my
                apologies, but I can't remember the name--which stated that the
                appearance of Christ in the catacombs was basically the appearance of
                Apollo; the Greek god of light's appearance seemed the obvious choice
                for Jesus' to these early Christians. Later, however, the documentary
                claimed that the Jesus image we know best--with the beard--is due to
                mimicking the statue of Zeus at Ephesus; the one which, of course, was
                one of the Seven Wonders. This, too, was theological: Zeus, the closest
                Greek religion came to monotheism, could easily be seen in the place of
                Jesus, and the great, wondrous, golden statue was also befitting his
                divinity. The documentary concluded that neither of these were Jesus'
                actual appearance, but rather, the product of what basically surmounts
                to Greek syncretism.

                Returning to the audience,
                Jason Godesky
              • Jan Sammer
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 27, 2000
                  > Jason Godesky:

                  ...Later, however, the documentary
                  > claimed that the Jesus image we know best--with the beard--is due to
                  > mimicking the statue of Zeus at Ephesus; the one which, of course, was
                  > one of the Seven Wonders.

                  You must mean the Phidias' statue of Zeus at Olympia... Ephesus was more
                  renowned for its cult of Artemis.

                  Jan
                • Lorna Wilson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 27, 2000
                    Robert,

                    directly. He is the editor of a number of articles based on African American
                    hermenutics. My intent was only to provide a pointer to several references
                    based on Mark's interest in the topic "Jesus as a man of colour." I would
                    love to explore this topic myself but my bandwidth is limited this week for
                    more urgent deliverables. Should I have the chance to peruse Felder's
                    anthology I will respond to your request. Unfortunately, right now I will
                    have to table your request for a later date. Thanks for your interest in
                    this matter.

                    Sincerely,
                    Lorna Wilson

                    -----------------------------start of Robert S. email------------------

                  • Secher
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 28, 2000
                      Hi! Folks,

                      Several folks have made inquiries about the historic
                      reliability of the existence of the village of Nazerith
                      in the early part of the first century.
                      Frankly, I never questioned it. But...

                      I have done extensive META searches and have not
                      been able to come up with any information. If someone
                      could offer some opinions or point me in the right
                      direction I would appreciate it.

                      Talk to you later, Howard ~&~
                      Any questions about the Historical Jesus?
                      http://www.onelist.com/group/HistoricalJesus101
                      Kindly overlook contextual errors, I use speech recognition software.

                      Doreen wrote:
                      If I can point out to the group that the OT records no such city as
                      Nazareth and Josephus reportedly does not mention it, either, and that
                      my findings are this city came into being after the gospels were
                      written, what would you say then?
                      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
                    • Weasel
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 28, 2000
                        At 12:19 12/28/2000 -0800, you wrote:

                        >Hi! Folks,
                        >
                        >Several folks have made inquiries about the historic
                        >reliability of the existence of the village of Nazerith
                        >in the early part of the first century.
                        >Frankly, I never questioned it. But...
                        >
                        >I have done extensive META searches and have not
                        >been able to come up with any information. If someone
                        >could offer some opinions or point me in the right
                        >direction I would appreciate it.

                        It is my recollection that a few artifacts which may dated to the 1st
                        century CE or earlier have been found in the area, however, there is some
                        dispute on the dating with some folks arguing for a 2nd or 3rd century CE
                        dating.

                        Rousseau and Arav have a brief discussion of this question in their Jesus
                        and his World, Fortress, Minneapolis, 1995. Other than a brief mention of a
                        few tombs, they are vague as to the nature and dating of this material.

                        The modern city of Nazareth has a population of over 50,000 which makes
                        archaeological work difficult. Nevertheless, there are currently digs
                        underway at the so-called Nazareth Village Farm which was discovered in
                        1996. Some preliminary info on this site can be found at:

                        http://www.csec.ac.uk/farm.htm

                        Whatever was there in the 1st century CE was probably too minor to have
                        caught the attention of the ancient writers.

                        Dave Jones
                        San Francisco
                      • Robert M. Schacht
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 28, 2000
                          At 12:52 PM 12/27/00 , Walter wrote:

                          > In regards to Jesus' appearance, I might add, that Early Christian art
                          > frequently shows Jesus as clean-shaven, he has no beard or moustache. Later,
                          > he acquires the beard. The catacomb wall paintings render his skin color as
                          > that of a fair European, not dark and swarthy.

                          Walter,
                          Thanks! How early is early?
                          Can you cite particular depictions and their estimated dates, along with
                          published references?
                          And can you respond to Jason's point about the influence of Greek mythology on
                          these depictions?

                          Thanks,
                          Bob
                        • Robert M. Schacht
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 28, 2000
                            At 01:19 PM 12/28/00 , Howard wrote:

                            > Hi! Folks,
                            >
                            > Several folks have made inquiries about the historic
                            > reliability of the existence of the village of Nazerith
                            > in the early part of the first century.
                            > Frankly, I never questioned it. But...
                            >
                            > I have done extensive META searches and have not
                            > been able to come up with any information. If someone
                            > could offer some opinions or point me in the right
                            > direction I would appreciate it.

                            There have been archaeological excavations at the site. I think if you consult
                            the XTalk archives you will find some discussion and the references.

                            Bob
                          • Austin Meredith
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 29, 2000
                              >Whatever was there in the 1st century CE was probably too minor to have
                              >caught the attention of the ancient writers.

                              There exists some archeological evidence that there were humans, and human
                              activities, present in the general area which we now refer to as Nazareth.
                              That's not so amazing, of course, as one would rather expect that all
                              available sites would have been being utilized by someone, who was doing
                              something or other to utilize the space or resources of said sites. :-)

                              I don't believe that anyone has ever suggested, however, that there has
                              ever been so much as a shred of archeological evidence, or of documentary
                              evidence outside the New Testament texts, that the general area which we
                              now refer to as Nazareth was then being referred to as Nazareth, or that
                              any of the New Testament references to a little community of Nazareth are
                              to be associated with this particular area.

                              To the best of my knowledge, all the available hard or corroborative
                              information is still entirely compatible with the two alternative hypotheses:

                              Hypothesis #1: That all the New Testament references to a locality named
                              Nazareth are the result of a mere linguistic confusion of a
                              personal-descriptor phrase with a place-or-origin phrase, a confusion which
                              has hardened into a dogma or tradition.

                              Hypothesis #2: That in a later century, when Crusaders and other tourists
                              began to arrive from Christian Europe, with coins jingling in their purses
                              and swords dangling by their sides, the local Palestinians began to create
                              a tourist industry, so that when some stranger with a purse and a sword
                              latched onto a local, with a "Look at my carrot and look at my stick, and
                              then take me directly to the holy ground of Nazareth," the local would
                              know what to do in order to optimize this situation.

                              I'm not embracing, myself, either one of these above two hypotheses. I'm
                              merely commenting here on the state of the hard evidence extrinsic to the
                              New Testament documents themselves.

                              \s\ Austin Meredith <Kouroo@...> "Stack of the Artist of Kouroo" Project
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 29, 2000
                                "Robert M. Schacht" wrote:

                                > At 12:52 PM 12/27/00 , Walter wrote:
                                > >
                                > > In regards to Jesus' appearance, I might add, that Early Christian art
                                > > frequently shows Jesus as clean-shaven, he has no beard or moustache. Later,
                                > > he acquires the beard. The catacomb wall paintings render his skin color as
                                > > that of a fair European, not dark and swarthy.
                                >
                                > Walter,
                                > Thanks! How early is early?
                                > Can you cite particular depictions and their estimated dates, along with
                                > published references?
                                > And can you respond to Jason's point about the influence of Greek mythology on
                                > these depictions?

                                I think all that you request may be found in Grady Snyder's _Ante Pacem_, the now
                                standard reference work (which, unfortunately, I do not possess!) on these
                                matters.

                                In any case, I'm CCing this message to Grady. If he responds, I'll post what he
                                has to say.

                                Yours, with wishes for a good New Year,

                                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
                                7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
                                Chicago, Illinois 60626
                                e-mail jgibson000@...
                              • Walter Mattfeld
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 29, 2000
                                  Dear Bob,

                                  Let me first make clear I am an "amateur" scholar, with very keen interests
                                  in all this talk about the historicty of Christ. From the following books, I
                                  make the following observations as to how Christ is represented.

                                  1. A "mid-fifth century ivory" from Palermo shows Jesus healing a leper.
                                  Christ is beardless with long hair (hair touching shoulders), and a halo.
                                  (p.153, Michael Walsh. Roots of Christianity. London. Grafton Books. 1986.
                                  ISBN 0-246-12757-0 hdbk)

                                  2. "Third-century" catacomb (color photo) from the tomb of the Aurelii in
                                  Rome. Christ in midst of 12 apostles. He is beardless with "short hair."
                                  (pp.22-23, Walsh)

                                  3, Christ, beardless, with short hair as the good shephered hold a lamb on
                                  shoulders. From the catacomb of Domitilla. (color photo, pp.52-53, Walsh)

                                  4. Christ, beardless, short-haired, standing, kneeling woman touching hem of
                                  his robe seeking healing, provenance not given.[Toynbee says SS. Petro e
                                  Marcellino, p.220] color photo, p.56, Walsh)

                                  5. Christ, beardless, short-haired, raising Lazarus from the dead. Gold or
                                  gilt painting on glass ? (described as a medallion, no date, p.57, Walsh)

                                  6. Christ, beardless, long-haired (by long haired I mean the hair almost
                                  touches the shoulders). A bas-relief from a sarcophagus ca. 350 AD showing
                                  the passions of Christ (pp.58-9, Walsh)

                                  7. Beardless, short-haired Christ at well with Samaritan woman (color photo,
                                  catacomb, date & location not given, p.93)

                                  7. Shroud of Turin with Christ bearded and long haired (p.67, Walsh)

                                  8. Bearded, long-haired Christ seated, wall painting (no date or provenance)
                                  (p.88, Walsh)

                                  There are many other pictures of Christ, in color, from catacomb paintings,
                                  but Walsh doesn't always bother to list date or place. Suffice to say, most
                                  of the pictures show him beardless with short or long hair, and appear to
                                  date ca. 350 A.D. His skin color appears light or fair northern European,
                                  but his hair is either dark or light brown (no Nordic Blonde !).
                                  From the few "dated examples" in Walsh's book, it would appear that Christ
                                  was frequently portrayed beardless in Early Christian art, at least through
                                  the mid 5th century AD. Perhaps the 6th century witnessed him being
                                  portrayed bearded ?
                                  One author, I forgot where I read it, stated that the Christians might have
                                  been inspired by statues of Aesculapius, the Greek god of healing (Christ
                                  being noted for healing). He noted Aesculapius was portrayed as bearded,
                                  with eyes "rolled up to heaven," with a serene facial expression. The
                                  bearded Christ is shown in the same manner.

                                  I recall reading somewhere that Christ beardless, was likened to Apollo, the
                                  sun god. A mosaic (black &white photo) shows Christ riding the "chariot of
                                  the Sun" from the Necropolis of St. Peter's Rome. He appears beardless with
                                  halo and rays (p.303, Arnold Toynbee, editor. The Crucible of Christianity.
                                  NY. World Publishing Co., 1969)

                                  "fourth-century" mosaic of a beardless, long haired Christ with chi-rho
                                  monogram behind head (Blonde hair ? yellow tiles ?, color photo, from a
                                  floor at Hinton St. Mary, Dorset, England, found 12 Sept. 1963, p.173,
                                  Toynbee)

                                  Ivory of Christ carrying cross, then crucified, beardless, long-haired
                                  "fifth-century" (p.224, Toynbee)

                                  Hope this has helped.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 29, 2000
                                    At 08:51 12/29/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                                    >"Robert M. Schacht" wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> At 12:52 PM 12/27/00 , Walter wrote:
                                    >> >
                                    >> > In regards to Jesus' appearance, I might add, that Early Christian art
                                    >> > frequently shows Jesus as clean-shaven, he has no beard or moustache.
                                    >Later,
                                    >> > he acquires the beard. The catacomb wall paintings render his skin
                                    color as
                                    >> > that of a fair European, not dark and swarthy.
                                    >>
                                    >> Walter,
                                    >> Thanks! How early is early?
                                    >> Can you cite particular depictions and their estimated dates, along with
                                    >> published references?
                                    >> And can you respond to Jason's point about the influence of Greek
                                    >mythology on
                                    >> these depictions?
                                    >
                                    >I think all that you request may be found in Grady Snyder's _Ante Pacem_,
                                    >the now
                                    >standard reference work (which, unfortunately, I do not possess!) on these
                                    >matters.
                                    >
                                    >In any case, I'm CCing this message to Grady. If he responds, I'll post
                                    what he
                                    >has to say.

                                    Snyder indicates that the earliest extant images of Jesus are usually of a
                                    young Jesus. "If my data is correct, there are a few bearded and
                                    consequently older Jesus representations before Constantine. " Ante Pacem
                                    page 56

                                    ----------
                                    Weasel
                                    (Mustela nivalis)

                                    "It has been my experience that those
                                    with no vices have very few virtues."
                                    Abraham Lincoln
                                  • Mark Cameron
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
                                      > > >Can the Shroud of Turin provide a clue? Without taking sides in this
                                      > ongoing
                                      > > >controversy, I would think that a discussion of the physical appearance
                                      > of
                                      > > >the historical Jesus should at least include a reference to it, on the
                                      > > >narrow chance that the shroud really is what it is alleged to be.
                                      > > >
                                      > > >Jan Sammer
                                      > >
                                      > > Doesn't all the evidence point to a provenance in the Middles Ages for
                                      > this
                                      > > artifact? So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
                                      splinters
                                      > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
                                      > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
                                      > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
                                      And
                                      > > all the other church fathers. The carbon dating, verified by several
                                      > > independent investigators, is surely telling.
                                      > >
                                      > > Steve Allison
                                      > > Knoxville, TN
                                      > >
                                      > Reading through various websites on the subject recently, I got the
                                      > impression that the matter was not completely settled as yet. I must agree
                                      > with you that the chances of its being authentic are vanishingly small.
                                      Even
                                      > so, it seems to me that a discussion of the physical appearance of the
                                      > historical Jesus ought to make some sort of a reference to it, if only to
                                      > reject the credibility of its evidence.
                                      >
                                      > Jan

                                      Without entering into the shroud debate, there is an image of Jesus that
                                      does seem to have played an important role in shaping later artistic
                                      impressions of Jesus: the image of Edessa, which is sometimes referred to as
                                      the Mandylion. The image was allegedly discovered during a siege of Edessa
                                      (a Parthian city which may have been Christianized as early as 200 a.d.) by
                                      the Persians in 544 a.d., and is credited with miraculously saving the city.
                                      The Edessa image was a face imprinted on a cloth and was referred to in 6th
                                      century sources as "not made with hands." Shortly thereafter, the typical
                                      Byzantine image of Christ (bearded, wide eyes, forward looking face) starts
                                      making its appearance on coins and icons, replacing the earlier younger,
                                      beardless images of Christ. In 944 a.d., the image was transferred from
                                      Edessa to Constantinople, where it became highly venerated in the Byzantine
                                      liturgy, receiving its own feast day on August 16, the day after the
                                      Dormition of Mary. There are numerous artistic representations of this
                                      image dating from the 10th through 12th centuries. The image seems to have
                                      disappeared after the sack of Constantinople in 1204.

                                      There are a number of uncanny resemblances between the Edessa face in
                                      Byzantine art and the face on the Shroud of Turin, and some have speculated
                                      that the two images are the same, with the cloth of Edessa being brought to
                                      Europe by the Crusaders, eventually showing up in 14th century France. This
                                      is of course highly speculative, given the C-14 dating of the Shroud. But
                                      there is no question that the Edessa image played an important role in
                                      transforming artistic representations of Jesus from the late 6th century
                                      onwards.

                                      Mark Cameron
                                      Ottawa, Canada
                                    • Billy Evans
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
                                        Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:

                                        So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
                                        splinters
                                        > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
                                        > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
                                        > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
                                        And

                                        According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
                                        bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
                                        that I must have missed your point.

                                        --William J Evans Jr
                                        grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
                                        Dissertation with UNISA
                                        10251 Pendery Drive
                                        Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
                                        bevans@...

                                        ----------

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
                                          .Billy Evans wrote:

                                          > Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:
                                          >
                                          > So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
                                          > splinters
                                          > > > of the cross, wise men's bones, etc. It seems to me that it has nothing
                                          > > > do with anything that 1st century Jews and Jesus people were interested
                                          > > > in. How could Paul have missed it or at least stayed quiet about it?
                                          > And
                                          >
                                          > According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
                                          > bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
                                          > that I must have missed your point.

                                          Um ...could I please have the reference(s) from Acts on this matter?

                                          Yours,

                                          Jeffrey Gibson
                                          --
                                          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
                                          7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 1, 2001
                                            Jeff:

                                            Acts 19:11-12 says: "And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of
                                            Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the
                                            sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them."

                                            Then there is Acts 5:15 which supports the notion of magic associated with
                                            Peter: "so that they even carried out the sick into the streets, and laid
                                            them on beds and pallets, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might
                                            fall on some of them."

                                            I remember reading years ago the number of church fathers who acknowledged
                                            the large numbers of people who kept cloths etc of Christian miracle workers
                                            of the first century. Maybe, Quatson's Patrology will provide this
                                            information under Acts 19:11-12.

                                            I wish I could be of more help.

                                            --William J Evans Jr
                                            grad of Hebrew Union College--Cincinnati
                                            Dissertation with UNISA
                                            10251 Pendery Drive
                                            Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
                                            bevans@...

                                            ----------
                                            >From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
                                            >To: crosstalk2@egroups.com
                                            >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Shroud was Re: Jesus as a man of colour
                                            >Date: Mon, Jan 1, 2001, 6:00 PM
                                            >

                                            > .Billy Evans wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> Steven Allison commented on the Shroud:
                                            >>
                                            >> So many other souvenirs were multiplying at that time,
                                            >> splinters
                                            >> And
                                            >>
                                            >> According to Acts the first century people WERE interested in collecting
                                            >> bones and clothes of the Apostles. Just an observation, but it's so obvious
                                            >> that I must have missed your point.
                                            >
                                            > Um ...could I please have the reference(s) from Acts on this matter?
                                            >
                                            > Yours,
                                            >
                                            > Jeffrey Gibson
                                            > --
                                            > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
                                            > 7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
                                            > Chicago, Illinois 60626
                                            > e-mail jgibson000@...

                                            > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@egroups.com

                                          • Mark Goodacre
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 9, 2001
                                              Many thanks for all the helpful feedback on the question of "Jesus
                                              as a person of colour". I've tried to sketch out some bits and
                                              bobs on my "Jesus" web site at:

                                              http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre/jesus/colour.htm

                                              I should stress that this is just a short sketch of some of the
                                              relevant issues as I have picked them up in the literature and it will
                                              want a lot of revising as time goes on. It's an area where I'm
                                              trying to learn, so all help is much appreciated.

                                              Best wishes
                                              Mark

                                              Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                                              University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                                              Birmingham B15 2TT
                                              United Kingdom

                                              http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                                              Homepage