Re: topics for LP book

  • Thomas A. Kopecek
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
      --- In crosstalk2@egroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@h...>
      wrote:

      > I'll be happy to comply! But as I haven't done much work in the D,
      perhaps I
      > can call upon you (and anyone else who has worked with this text)
      for
      > bibliography?

      Sure. Give me a couple of days to check this out for you, Jeffrey.

      Tom Kopecek
    • Thomas A. Kopecek
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
        wrote:

        > I'll be happy to comply! But as I haven't done much work in the D,
        perhaps I
        > can call upon you (and anyone else who has worked with this text)
        for
        > bibliography?

        There is a fifteen-page bibliography of literature on D compiled by
        Kenneth J. Harder and Clayton N. Jefford from the St Meinrad School
        of
        Theology in THE DIDACHE IN CONTEXT:ESSAYS ON ITS TEXT, HISTORY AND
        TRANSMISSION, ed. by Jefford, (Leiden: Brill, 1995). It also contains
        a 16 or 17-page list of works cited in the collection. Brill things
        are generally too expensive for my college's library, so I only have
        this information in my notes and am unable to check for you whether
        there are articles specifically on the LP.

        There is also another collection of essays titled THE DIDACHE IN
        MODERN RESEARCH edited by Jonathan A. Draper (Leiden: Brill, 1996).
        After having looked at the volume using ILL I didn't specifically
        write down in my notes whether or not there is a bibliography, but my
        guess is that there is, for Draper normally gives rather extensive
        ones even when he writes articles: his article on D in VC 54
        (2000):121-158 has a 4+ page bibliography.

        Tom

        ___
        Thomas A. Kopecek
        Professor of Religion
        Central College, Pella, IA 50219
        kopecekt@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
          At 12:32 AM 12/4/00 +0000, Thomas A. Kopecek wrote:
          >--- In crosstalk2@egroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@h...>
          >wrote:
          >
          > > I'll be happy to comply! But as I haven't done much work in the D,
          >perhaps I
          > > can call upon you (and anyone else who has worked with this text)
          >for
          > > bibliography?
          >
          >There is a fifteen-page bibliography of literature on D compiled by
          >Kenneth J. Harder and Clayton N. Jefford from the St Meinrad School
          >of
          >Theology in THE DIDACHE IN CONTEXT:ESSAYS ON ITS TEXT, HISTORY AND
          >TRANSMISSION, ed. by Jefford, (Leiden: Brill, 1995). It also contains
          >a 16 or 17-page list of works cited in the collection. Brill things
          >are generally too expensive for my college's library, so I only have
          >this information in my notes and am unable to check for you whether
          >there are articles specifically on the LP.
          >
          >There is also another collection of essays titled THE DIDACHE IN
          >MODERN RESEARCH edited by Jonathan A. Draper (Leiden: Brill, 1996).
          >After having looked at the volume using ILL I didn't specifically
          >write down in my notes whether or not there is a bibliography, but my
          >guess is that there is, for Draper normally gives rather extensive
          >ones even when he writes articles: his article on D in VC 54
          >(2000):121-158 has a 4+ page bibliography.
          >
          >Tom

          Tom's sources probably contain the following, but just in case:
          * The Influence of the Gospel of Saint Matthew on Christian Literature
          before Saint Irenaeus: The Apologists and the Didache. Arthur J. Bellinzoni
          (Editor),Norman J. Belval (Translator), Suzanne Hecht (Translator) /
          Hardcover / Mercer University Press / July 1993
          * Critical Concordance of the Didache, or Teaching of the Twelve
          Apostles, Vol. 48, by Thompson, Baird / Hardcover / Edwin Mellen Pr. /
          November 1996
          * Didache in Context, by Clayton N. Jefford (Editor) / Hardcover /
          Brill Academic Publishers, Incorporated / January 1995
          * Didache in Modern Research, by Jonathan A. Draper (Editor) /Hardcover
          / October 1996
          Besides Tom's excellent resources you may want to consult
          * Niederwimmer, Kurt. The Didache: a Commentary. Minneapolis: Fortress
          Press, 1998.
          There is no shortage of online translations of the Didache:
          Charles H. Hoole's translation of the Didache is online at
          <http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/Liturgical/didache.html>

          Lightfoot's translation is online at a number of places, including
          <http://www.az.com/~cryalls/didache.html>

          A version translated by T.E.Q.Williams Dec. 1999 A.D. from printed text in
          Indiana University Indianapolis Library is online at
          <http://www.folkgospel.com/didache.htm>

          and there are more!

          Seems like an active field of research!

        • Thomas A. Kopecek
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000
            --- In crosstalk2@egroups.com, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@y...> wrote:

            > * Didache in Modern Research, by Jonathan A. Draper (Editor)
            /Hardcover
            > / October 1996
            > Besides Tom's excellent resources you may want to consult
            > * Niederwimmer, Kurt. The Didache: a Commentary. Minneapolis:
            Fortress
            > Press, 1998.

            Maybe five years ago or so Maurice Wiles put me in touch with his
            student, the then Notre Dame historian of liturgy Paul Bradshaw.
            Bradshaw told me at that time that he and his students at Notre Dame
            were working on the Hermeneia edition of the Didache. For some reason
            that enterprise was abandoned and Niederwimmer's 1989 commentary was
            translated into English for the series (I believe that 1989 was the
            year of the original German edition).

            Jeffrey: Bradshaw might be a good resource for you to tap into in
            your investigations into the Didache and the LP. I used to have his
            email address, but I can't track it down. My last understanding was
            that he was still somehow connected with Notre Dame but was actually
            working and teaching back home in England. If my geographical
            information is still current, somebody over in the UK who is on
            Crosstalk may know what it is.

            In addition, I came across a note in my files that the Draper 1996
            collection of essays that both Bob and I referenced has an article by
            Draper himself on the relation of synoptic material to the Didache.
            There is nothing in my notes about Draper treating the LP, but that
            doesn't mean much, for the notes are very sketchy.

            Tom

            ____