Re: [Synoptic-L] topics for LP book

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
      On 2 Dec 2000, at 19:53, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      > 1. Authenticity and Origins (does it go back to Jesus in its entirety?
      > It is a later composite of originally individual petitions)
      > 2. Original Version (Matthew's or Luke's?)
      > 3. Explanation of Differences between the Texts
      > 4. Its Relation to Jewish Prayers
      > 5. General Meaning: An Eschatological Prayer?
      > 6. Meaning of Individual Petitions
      > 7. The Prayer's use by the early church
      >
      > Should anything else be included? Or to put this another way, are there
      > any other things that those who are saying something about the LP are
      > saying something about?

      Although this may well be covered under "3. Explanation of
      Differences between the Texts", I'd be interested in seeing a (more
      broadly) text-critical chapter, perhaps even before we get to topic
      number 2. For one can't decide which (if either) is more "original"
      out of Matt // Didache or Luke until one has decided on how one
      reconstructs those texts. The Lord's Prayer, as you know of
      course, is one of the most fascinating of all pericopae to view from
      a text-critical perspective. In relation to bibliography, I don't recall if
      your biblio. included my colleague David Parker's _The Living Text
      fo the Gospels_ (Cambridge: C.U.P., 1997), which features a whole
      chapter on the textual history of the prayer.

      The book sounds interesting -- I look forward to it!

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Homepage
      http://NTGateway.com