Re: [XTalk] Where Is Paul in the Gospels?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      Ron Price wrote:

      > >> Is Pauline theology represented in Q?
      >
      > I wrote:
      >
      > >> Yes, it is in Q as normally understood. Jesus is presented as the Son
      > >> of God in the Temptation story (Matt 4:1-11) and in Jesus' Thanksgiving
      > >> (Matt 11:25-27).
      >
      > William Arnal replied:
      >
      > >No, Pauline theology is absolutely NOT represented in Q.
      >
      > Bill,
      >
      > I trust you would agree that Matt 11:25-27 (=Q10:21-22), if not also
      > Matt 4:1-11 (=Q4:1-13), implies a belief in Jesus as the unique Son of
      > God. My contention is that this belief originated with Paul. Who else
      > amongst the early followers of Jesus had the boldness and the vision to
      > cast aside Jewish inhibitions and invent such a breathtaking concept?
      > But if Paul invented it, then clearly your "Q" contains Pauline
      > theology.

      Seems to me that this assumes what needs to be proven, namely that Jesus is
      being proclaimed as the unique Son of God or that the title is being used by Q
      (or by Paul) in a way that was never done before. But the application of the
      title Son to Jesus in Q is, as all of the allusions in the testing account in
      the Exodus/Deueteronomy/Numbers story of the post Exodus testing of God's son
      Israel show, a way of claiming that Jesus is a recapitulation of "one" who
      long before Jesus had been designated Son. For fuller explication, see B.
      Gerhardsson, _The Testing of God's Son_ and my article "A New Turn on Turning
      Stones to Bread: The Meaning of Q 4:3" in BR.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Chicago, Illinois 60626