Re: [XTalk] Where Is Paul in the Gospels?

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2000

      I wrote:

      >> Yes, it is in Q as normally understood. Jesus is presented as the Son
      >> of God in the Temptation story (Matt 4:1-11) and in Jesus' Thanksgiving
      >> (Matt 11:25-27).

      William Arnal replied:

      >No, Pauline theology is absolutely NOT represented in Q.

      Bill,

      I trust you would agree that Matt 11:25-27 (=Q10:21-22), if not also
      Matt 4:1-11 (=Q4:1-13), implies a belief in Jesus as the unique Son of
      God. My contention is that this belief originated with Paul. Who else
      amongst the early followers of Jesus had the boldness and the vision to
      cast aside Jewish inhibitions and invent such a breathtaking concept?
      But if Paul invented it, then clearly your "Q" contains Pauline
      theology.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...

    • Brian McCarthy
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2000
        Ron,

        How bold/daring was Paul's concept of Jesus as son of God in view of

        a) the fact that in Paul Jesus is always raised from the dead by God, he
        does not rise of his own divine power

        b) I Cor 15:28, where the son will be subjected to God, so that "God may be
        all in all"

        Brian McCarthy
        Madison WI

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 2, 2000
          At 09:28 AM 12/2/00 +0000, you wrote:

          > >> Is Pauline theology represented in Q?
          >
          >I wrote:
          >
          > >> Yes, it is in Q as normally understood. Jesus is presented as the Son
          > >> of God in the Temptation story (Matt 4:1-11) and in Jesus' Thanksgiving
          > >> (Matt 11:25-27).
          >
          >William Arnal replied:
          >
          > >No, Pauline theology is absolutely NOT represented in Q.
          >
          > Bill,
          >
          > I trust you would agree that Matt 11:25-27 (=Q10:21-22), if not also
          >Matt 4:1-11 (=Q4:1-13), implies a belief in Jesus as the unique Son of
          >God. My contention is that this belief originated with Paul. Who else
          >amongst the early followers of Jesus had the boldness and the vision to
          >cast aside Jewish inhibitions and invent such a breathtaking concept?

          Well, the obvious answer to your question is: "Peter." (You did say "who,"
          not "what author?"), which is in the triple tradition (Mark 8:27-30).

          >But if Paul invented it, then clearly your "Q" contains Pauline
          >theology.

          If Paul invented it, why does no one credit him with this insight? Mark is
          arguably as early a source as Q.

        • William E. Arnal
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2000
            On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Ron Price wrote:

            > I trust you would agree that Matt 11:25-27 (=Q10:21-22), if not also
            > Matt 4:1-11 (=Q4:1-13), implies a belief in Jesus as the unique Son of
            > God.

            Not entirely, no. Especially in the temptation, I think the
            designation is pretty generic. In Q 10:21-22, it seems to
            me, the point is much sharper, but refers to Jesus' unique
            role as a consuit of knowledge and revelation rather than
            the cluster of ideas that Paul associates with this term.

            > My contention is that this belief originated with Paul.

            Well, that's your contention, but you have to demonstrate
            it. You can't appeal to this unsubstantiated contention as
            a (rather question-begging and circular) way of showing Q to
            be dependent on Pauline theology.

            > Who else
            > amongst the early followers of Jesus had the boldness and the vision to
            > cast aside Jewish inhibitions and invent such a breathtaking concept?

            Well, that's the question at hand. One could answer it,
            "well, based on the evidence we have, Q." Frankly, I don't
            see in the term the same boldness, casting aside of Jewish
            inhibitions, and so forth, and the fact is, it's just a
            TERM, not an idea in and of itself. Q and Paul use it
            differently, and since Q a) does not use it the way Paul
            does, or accord it the same centrality, and b) does not show
            contact with the range of other theological ideas typical of
            Paul, and c) has its own distinctive theology that
            apparently owes nothing, conceptually, to Paul, it would
            seem that Q, far from needed to be recast to fit your thesis
            that Paul invented "son of God," actually disproves that
            thesis (though not the thesis that Paul invested this term
            with his own peculiar sense).

            Bill
            William E. Arnal e-mail: wea1@...
            Religious Studies/Classics New York University
          • Ron Price
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
              Brian McCarthy wrote:

              >How bold/daring was Paul's concept of Jesus as son of God in view of
              >
              >a) the fact that in Paul Jesus is always raised from the dead by God, he
              >does not rise of his own divine power
              >
              >b) I Cor 15:28, where the son will be subjected to God, so that "God may be
              >all in all"

              Brian,
              I didn't claim that Paul had made Jesus on a level with God.
              But the claim regarding a special father/son relationship made for
              Jesus repeatedly in Paul's letters would surely have offended orthodox
              Jews because it could have been interpreted, as later Christians
              certainly did interpret it, as a claim to divinity.

              Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

              > ....... the application of the
              >title Son to Jesus in Q is ....... a way of claiming that Jesus is a
              >recapitulation of "one" who long before Jesus had been designated Son.

              Jeffrey,
              There is a world of difference between designating the nation of
              Israel as God's Son and designating a historical human being as such.
              The latter might be regarded as blasphemy.

              Bob Schacht wrote:

              >Well, the obvious answer to your question is: "Peter." (You did say "who,"
              >not "what author?"), which is in the triple tradition (Mark 8:27-30).

              Bob,
              Yes I did say "who". But the application of redaction criticism to
              Mark leads me to believe that the author's main purpose in penning Mark
              8:29 was to point out that Peter (contrast the centurion in Mark 15:39)
              never got beyond seeing Jesus as the Messiah.

              >If Paul invented [the concept of Jesus as the Son of God], why does no
              one credit him with this insight?

              Au_Mark was writing an account of the life of Jesus. Paul never met
              Jesus. So you can hardly expect Mark's gospel to have credited Paul with
              this insight. Anyway Au_Mark was so keen to portray Jesus as the Son of
              God that he was prepared to read the title back into the life of Jesus
              (Mark 1:11; 15:39 etc.). Later gospel writers were probably unaware of
              the origin of the attribution.

              William Arnal wrote:

              > In Q 10:21-22, it seems to
              >me, the point is much sharper, but refers to Jesus' unique
              >role as a consuit of knowledge and revelation rather than
              >the cluster of ideas that Paul associates with this term.

              In such a short passage one could hardly expect to see the whole
              cluster of ideas that Paul associates with "Son of God". But the phrase
              itself provides an undeniable link.

              >> Who else
              >> amongst the early followers of Jesus had the boldness and the vision to
              >> cast aside Jewish inhibitions and invent such a breathtaking concept?

              >Well, that's the question at hand. One could answer it,
              >"well, based on the evidence we have, Q."

              Since when was Q a person? Presumably you mean the author of this
              hypothetical document. But if he/she had introduced the term, he/she
              would surely have made a better job of advertising it than
              in the two quite disparate pericopae: the Temptation and the
              Thanksgiving.

              > Frankly, I don't
              >see in the term the same boldness, casting aside of Jewish
              >inhibitions, and so forth, and the fact is, it's just a
              >TERM, not an idea in and of itself.

              So I suppose you would say "God" is just a term and not an idea in and
              of itself.
              You're on shaky ground here. "the Son of God" is both a phrase/term
              and a theological concept.

              > Q and Paul use it differently, and since Q a) does not use
              > it the way Paul does .......

              The fact that two pericopae in the double tradition use the phrase
              "Son of God" in a way which is atypical of Paul does not prove that Paul
              was not the originator of the phrase as applied to Jesus.
              Note that Paul referred to Jesus as God's Son in 1 Thess over 20 years
              before the next certain reference in Mark, and before the earliest
              proposed date for the hypothetical Q.

              > ....... it would
              >seem that Q, far from needed to be recast to fit your thesis
              >that Paul invented "son of God," .......

              There's a whole raft of reasons why Q should be recast and theology
              plays only a minor role in them. They come under three broad headings:
              (1) Au_Luke must have known Matthew (Luke 1:1; Mattheanisms in Luke;
              etc.)
              (2) The Q which arises from the 2SH is incoherent and quite incredible
              as a real document because of the ridiculous way it mixes narratives and
              sayings, some of which are not even sayings of Jesus. (I've studied the
              structures of the NT documents and even James, which is the least well
              structured, is vastly more coherent than the Q of the 2SH.)
              (3) It points to a Greek original and thus fails to explain Papias' TA
              LOGIA.

              >Q ....... actually disproves that thesis [that Paul was
              > the originator of the term "Son of God" as applied to Jesus].

              But a mere hyothesis (especially a dubious one, see above) can't prove
              or disprove anything.

              Russ Conte wrote:

              >the advocates of 7Q5's authenticity claim
              >it is a passage from Mark 6:52-53. Of more interest, 7Q5 is dated by its
              >advocates to approximately 50.

              Russ,
              There is a clear Sitz im Leben for Mark ca. 70 CE. Either the
              advocates of 7Q5's authenticity or else its dating must be wrong.

              Ron Price

              Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

              e-mail: ron.price@...

            • William E. Arnal
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2000
                On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Ron Price wrote:

                > > In Q 10:21-22, it seems to
                > >me, the point is much sharper, but refers to Jesus' unique
                > >role as a consuit of knowledge and revelation rather than
                > >the cluster of ideas that Paul associates with this term.
                >
                > In such a short passage one could hardly expect to see the whole
                > cluster of ideas that Paul associates with "Son of God". But the phrase
                > itself provides an undeniable link.

                Gotta love this reasoning: it's not there, but it really is.
                Come on. The question is, is Paul's theology reflected in Q?
                And the answer is: no. The term, "son of God" comes up, but
                it means something different, and lacks distinctively
                Pauline traits. I should note that people are always trying
                this, "just because it isn't there doesn't mean it isn't
                there" approach to Q, but it just doesn't work: Q's theology
                is reconstructed not simply in terms of what it lacks, but
                what it HAS. The two "son of God" passages, as I explained
                in my earlier post, do in fact convey their own sets of
                ideas and associations. Those sets of ideas and associations
                are DIFFERENT from Paul's. Moreover, one must wonder about
                the character of this alleged influence if it was, on the
                one hand, sufficient to make Q adopt a "Pauline" title in a
                couple pericopes, but insufficient to cause Q to USE those
                references in a Pauline fashion, or edevlop any other aspect
                of Pauline theology. Seems to me there is an a priori here:
                Paul invented the title, therefore every instance of the
                title must represent Pauline influence, regardless of the
                evidence.

                > Since when was Q a person? Presumably you mean the author of this
                > hypothetical document. But if he/she had introduced the term, he/she
                > would surely have made a better job of advertising it than
                > in the two quite disparate pericopae: the Temptation and the
                > Thanksgiving.

                So you're arguing that the LACK of importance of this term
                in Q is evidence that Q is Pauline in its theology??? Weird.
                Anyway, one could make the same (incorrect) argument about a
                host of other terms in Q: "son of man", "the coming one,"
                "the day," and so on. And one could make similar points
                about other texts. In fact, as I said in my last post, Q
                DOES develop these pericopae sufficiently that the content
                of "son of God" is fairly well specified.

                > So I suppose you would say "God" is just a term and not an idea in and
                > of itself.

                That's correct.

                > You're on shaky ground here. "the Son of God" is both a phrase/term
                > and a theological concept.

                Not an invariable one. It means what you make it mean. As
                does "God."

                > The fact that two pericopae in the double tradition use the phrase
                > "Son of God" in a way which is atypical of Paul does not prove that Paul
                > was not the originator of the phrase as applied to Jesus.

                Well, it sure doesn't prove he WAS thje originator! And, in
                fact, if it can be shown that there was no Pauline influence
                on Q, or that this material in Q predates Paul, well then,
                yeah, it DOES prove that Paul wasn't the originator of the
                title. But "proof" aside, what is lacking in your hypothesis
                is plausibility. Is it PLAUSIBLE that a document showing no
                Pauline influence and apparently lacking any literary
                connection with his extant writings and deriving from a
                locale far outside of his sphere of influence, when it
                contains a phrase that Paul uses, but uses it in a diferent
                way, derived that phrase (and apparently that phrase only)
                from Paul? Well, no.

                > Note that Paul referred to Jesus as God's Son in 1 Thess over 20 years
                > before the next certain reference in Mark, and before the earliest
                > proposed date for the hypothetical Q.

                You clearly aren't up on Q scholarship. A number of folks
                have proposed dates for Q prior to 1 Thess. And NO ONE, I
                think, has proposed a Galilean sphere of Pauline influence,
                so unless we imagine Xianity unified from the start, the
                absolute date of Q vis a vis may not even be relevant.

                > There's a whole raft of reasons why Q should be recast and theology
                > plays only a minor role in them. They come under three broad headings:
                > (1) Au_Luke must have known Matthew (Luke 1:1; Mattheanisms in Luke;
                > etc.)

                Why Luke 1:1 can't refer to Q and Mark, rather than Matthew
                and Mark, or any other number of now-lost sources (including
                "L") is beyond me. As for Mattheanisms in Luke, there is a
                growing literature on this, and the question is far from
                settled.

                > (2) The Q which arises from the 2SH is incoherent and quite incredible
                > as a real document because of the ridiculous way it mixes narratives and
                > sayings, some of which are not even sayings of Jesus. (I've studied the
                > structures of the NT documents and even James, which is the least well
                > structured, is vastly more coherent than the Q of the 2SH.)

                This is foolishness. Read some of the literature on Q before
                airing such patently false conclusions.

                > (3) It points to a Greek original and thus fails to explain Papias' TA
                > LOGIA.

                Right. The explanation for Papias has little to do with Q.
                Is there some Aramaic document flaoting around that I
                haven't heard about? Otherwise, Papias is in fact either
                incorrectly referring to an EXTANT Greek document, or is
                correctly referring to a text we no longer have, either in
                MS form or, like Q, as a reconstruction.

                > But a mere hyothesis (especially a dubious one, see above) can't prove
                > or disprove anything.

                I am longer going to reply to any assertions that "Q is
                hypothetical." There's nothing to say to this beyond what
                I've already said.

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
                  William Arnal wrote:
                  > The question is, is Paul's theology reflected in Q?
                  >And the answer is: no. The term, "son of God" comes up, but
                  >it means something different, and lacks distinctively
                  >Pauline traits.

                  Bill,
                  But the fact is that *if* Paul was the first to apply the label "Son
                  of God" to Jesus, then those two pericopae contain Pauline theology.
                  (Appying the label says something about God, namely that Jesus was his
                  Son. It can therefore be classed as theology, even if its meaning is
                  open to differing interpretations.)

                  > ....... Moreover, one must wonder about
                  >the character of this alleged influence if it was, on the
                  >one hand, sufficient to make Q adopt a "Pauline" title in a
                  >couple pericopes, but insufficient to cause Q to USE those
                  >references in a Pauline fashion .......

                  But here you have totally missed my point. I am saying that Q as
                  derived from the 2SH never existed. Therefore any argument based on what
                  Q did or did not do is irrelevant here. The actual sayings source
                  (which I label "sQ") contained about two-thirds of the "Q" sayings. The
                  two pericopae referring to Jesus as God's Son are among several
                  pericopae which were not in sQ. They were copied by Au_Luke from
                  Matthew.

                  >> But if he/she had introduced the term, he/she
                  >> would surely have made a better job of advertising it than
                  >> in the two quite disparate pericopae: the Temptation and the
                  >> Thanksgiving.

                  > ....... one could make the same (incorrect) argument about a
                  >host of other terms in Q: "son of man" .......

                  You may be right. But the sQ description of the coming of the son of
                  man in the sky, reminiscent of Daniel 7:13, arguably conveys the essence
                  of what the author meant by "son of man" without the need for further
                  explanation.

                  > Is it PLAUSIBLE that a document showing no
                  >Pauline influence and apparently lacking any literary
                  >connection with his extant writings and deriving from a
                  >locale far outside of his sphere of influence, when it
                  >contains a phrase that Paul uses, but uses it in a diferent
                  >way, derived that phrase (and apparently that phrase only)
                  >from Paul?

                  Here again you've completely missed my point. I am arguing that Q as
                  you understand it never existed. sQ does not refer to Jesus as God's
                  Son. It is entirely plausible that Au_Matt was the first person to put
                  in writing the pericopae Matt 4:1-11 and 11:25-27.

                  >> Note that Paul referred to Jesus as God's Son in 1 Thess over 20 years
                  >> before the next certain reference in Mark, and before the earliest
                  >> proposed date for the hypothetical Q.

                  >You clearly aren't up on Q scholarship.

                  You have several advantages over me here. O.K. I see now that Q is
                  dated by some nowadays as early as 40 CE. Even so, a hypothetical
                  document taking the earliest date attributed by scholars is not very
                  convincing. This is especially so since I note from Schnelle (_The
                  History and Theology of the New Testament Writings_, ET SCM, London,
                  1998, p.186) that the arguments for an early date depend among other
                  things on:
                  (1) the genuineness of 1 Thess 2:14-16, which text I see from an earlier
                  posting in this thread you regard as questionable (and here I agree with
                  you)
                  (2) positive references to Gentiles in Q. But all the clear positive
                  references to Gentiles are in pericopae which were first written down in
                  Matthew according to my hypothesis. They were not in sQ.
                  Anyway it can hardly be doubted that 1 Thess has the earliest certain
                  reference to Jesus as God's Son.

                  > And NO ONE, I
                  >think, has proposed a Galilean sphere of Pauline influence

                  I don't disagree. But again you underestimate the radical nature of
                  the 3SH. When a third of the sayings material is removed from Q in a
                  distinctly non-random manner and allocated to Au_Matt, one has to look
                  afresh at the question of its original location, just as one has to look
                  afresh at the question of its original language.

                  >Why Luke 1:1 can't refer to Q and Mark, rather than Matthew
                  >and Mark

                  Because Q cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be described as
                  "an account of the events which have taken place among us" (REB).

                  > or any other number of now-lost sources (including
                  >"L")

                  I thought you were a 2SH advocate. Are you saying that Luke had three
                  documentary sources? Surely the idea of "L" as a written source was
                  ditched decades ago.

                  > As for Mattheanisms in Luke, there is a
                  >growing literature on this, and the question is far from
                  >settled.

                  Phew! A response which is not an outright rebuttal!
                  Thanks for this concession that at least a *part* of my argument is
                  plausible.

                  >> (2) The Q which arises from the 2SH is incoherent and quite incredible
                  >> as a real document because of the ridiculous way it mixes narratives and
                  >> sayings, some of which are not even sayings of Jesus. (I've studied the
                  >> structures of the NT documents and even James, which is the least well
                  >> structured, is vastly more coherent than the Q of the 2SH.)

                  >This is foolishness.

                  But now you've replaced logical argument with invective, which is not
                  helpful.
                  The incoherence of Q is manifest from the fact that most Q scholars
                  attempt to split it into the supposedly different layers Q1, Q2 and Q3.
                  Since when did anyone split James into layers?

                  > Read some of the literature on Q before
                  >airing such patently false conclusions.

                  A.M.Farrer wrote of the supposed author of Q: "What is hard to believe
                  is that he should supply the exordium, while omitting the conclusion,
                  that he should set in train the only story of unique importance, and
                  break it off."

                  The critique of the coherence of Q is patently false is it? So
                  presumably you think Farrer was foolish as well.

                  However if some of that literature addresses Farrer's comment I would
                  be grateful for a specific reference.

                  >> (3) It points to a Greek original and thus fails to explain Papias' TA
                  >> LOGIA.

                  >Right. The explanation for Papias has little to do with Q.

                  You would say that, because the 2SH has difficulty explaining Papias'
                  statement. So, for that matter, does the FH.

                  Ron Price

                  Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

                  e-mail: ron.price@...

                • William E. Arnal
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2000
                    On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Ron Price wrote:

                    > But the fact is that *if* Paul was the first to apply the label "Son
                    > of God" to Jesus, then those two pericopae contain Pauline theology.

                    Well, no, those two pericopae contain terminology that
                    originated with Paul. And that's only IF Paul was the first
                    to apply the term to Jesus, and IF other occurances didn't
                    just come up on their own (which is certainly possible). The
                    meaning of the term differs, so even if the Q author
                    encountered Paul and said to himself, "gee, that's a cool
                    term," he hasn't in fact adopted the theology that Paul uses
                    that term to convey. So, once again, Q lacks Pauline
                    theology.

                    > (Appying the label says something about God, namely that Jesus was his
                    > Son. It can therefore be classed as theology, even if its meaning is
                    > open to differing interpretations.)

                    Of course the term, in its various uses, says something
                    about God (and Jesus). But it can say different things,
                    depending on how it's used. And so its mere use does not
                    indicate identical or even similar ideas. Look, e.g., at
                    Luke's application of the term to ADAM, of all people!

                    > > ....... Moreover, one must wonder about
                    > >the character of this alleged influence if it was, on the
                    > >one hand, sufficient to make Q adopt a "Pauline" title in a
                    > >couple pericopes, but insufficient to cause Q to USE those
                    > >references in a Pauline fashion .......
                    >
                    > But here you have totally missed my point. I am saying that Q as
                    > derived from the 2SH never existed. Therefore any argument based on what
                    > Q did or did not do is irrelevant here. The actual sayings source
                    > (which I label "sQ") contained about two-thirds of the "Q" sayings. The
                    > two pericopae referring to Jesus as God's Son are among several
                    > pericopae which were not in sQ. They were copied by Au_Luke from
                    > Matthew.

                    Actually, you have missed my point, in the above, insofar as
                    I was saying that these two pericopae do NOT convey Pauline
                    ideas re. son of god. Yes, I could make the further point
                    that Q elsewhere lacks Pauline concepts, but in fact I was
                    saying that these stories/sayings lack Pauline concepts.
                    This is as true in their Matthean incarnations as within the
                    context of Q.

                    In addition, I did not in fact miss your point avbout
                    revising the Q hypothesis -- I was just ignoring it. Your
                    claim was that Q, as it is understood, is Pauline in its
                    theology. I was countering that claim.

                    > You may be right. But the sQ description of the coming of the son of
                    > man in the sky, reminiscent of Daniel 7:13, arguably conveys the essence
                    > of what the author meant by "son of man" without the need for further
                    > explanation.

                    As does son of god, even if only in the pericopes in which
                    it appears. As I keep saying, these units do in themselves
                    specify the content of "son of god," and moreover do so in
                    way that has little in common with Paul's usage. By the way,
                    what about my other example, "the Coming One"?

                    > Here again you've completely missed my point. I am arguing that Q as
                    > you understand it never existed. sQ does not refer to Jesus as God's
                    > Son. It is entirely plausible that Au_Matt was the first person to put
                    > in writing the pericopae Matt 4:1-11 and 11:25-27.

                    Well, it would be plausible if I thought there were any
                    convincing grounds for rejecting Q as normally conceived,
                    but since I DON'T, then it is not plausible at all that
                    Matthew formulated these two units.

                    > You have several advantages over me here. O.K. I see now that Q is
                    > dated by some nowadays as early as 40 CE. Even so, a hypothetical
                    > document taking the earliest date attributed by scholars is not very
                    > convincing. This is especially so since I note from Schnelle (_The
                    > History and Theology of the New Testament Writings_, ET SCM, London,
                    > 1998, p.186) that the arguments for an early date depend among other
                    > things on:
                    > (1) the genuineness of 1 Thess 2:14-16, which text I see from an earlier
                    > posting in this thread you regard as questionable (and here I agree with
                    > you)

                    Just a clarification here: I actually DON'T regard Pauline
                    authorship of 1 Thess 2:13-16 to be doubtful; I was merely
                    recognizing that a l0ots of folks DO. In fact, I was
                    thoroughly convinced by John Hurd's arguments ("Paul
                    Ahead of his Time," Peter Richardson, ed., _Anti-Judaism in
                    Early Christianity_, or something like that; against
                    Pearson) that this unit is original to 1 Thess. But that's
                    another matter.

                    In any case, you're partly right here: at least SOME early
                    datings of Q depend on a linkage with 1 Thess 2:13-16
                    (including my own!), but not all. Theissen dates Q to the
                    40s CE on very different grounds. Moreover, since there's
                    nothing about Q that compels a late date (in spite of the
                    efforts of Luhrmann, and even more dramatically, Hoffmann
                    and Myllykoski), an early dating doesn't DEPEND on 1 Thess
                    -- it just may appeal to it. You know what I mean? In other
                    words, even if 1 Thess 2:13-16 could be proven to be an
                    interpolation, or could be proven to have no bearing on Q,
                    that would not require a late date for Q -- it would just
                    knock out one particular argument for dating Q in the 40s.

                    > (2) positive references to Gentiles in Q. But all the clear positive
                    > references to Gentiles are in pericopae which were first written down in
                    > Matthew according to my hypothesis. They were not in sQ.

                    Whoa! This I don't get. How do Q's supposed positive
                    references to Gentiles in any way support an EARLY date for
                    Q??? For Luhrmann, they were an indication of its lateness!

                    In any case, this comment of yours makes me think that a
                    methodological point is in order. It APPEARS to me (correct
                    me if I'm wrong) that you want to take units away from Q on
                    the grounds of this or that theological peculiarity. That
                    is, you want to dump the temptation, and the "I thank you,
                    Father," saying, because of the "son of God" concept, and
                    you also want to dump the stuff that makes (apparently)
                    positive reference to Gentiles. To my mind, this sort of
                    method always dissolves into special pleading. It starts by
                    assuming a particular chronology of ideas, then looks for
                    those ideas in the sources, makes allegedly early ideas an
                    indication of early sources, and late ideas an indication of
                    late sources, and then uses the dates of these sources to
                    show the provenance and chronology of the ideas! That's no
                    good at all: anyone can "refute" it by coming up with a
                    counter-chronology and making the same kind of application.
                    The only real control we have on our reconstructions is the
                    literary evidence, and so our hypotheses need to depend on
                    that evidence. The grounds for positing Q rest with Luke not
                    knowing Matthew. Without that claim, there's no reason to
                    hypothesize Q at all, since we may as well attribute all of
                    the double tradition to Luke's use of Matthew. There are no
                    literary reasons, either, for excluding the temptation, or
                    the positive references to Gentiles, or the like, from a
                    hypothetical Q -- they are used by Luke in much the same
                    way as he uses other double tradition material, and resemble
                    the Matthean texts no more nor less than is usual for the
                    double tradition.

                    > Anyway it can hardly be doubted that 1 Thess has the earliest certain
                    > reference to Jesus as God's Son.

                    Eariest certain reference, sure. But not certainly earliest.

                    > I don't disagree. But again you underestimate the radical nature of
                    > the 3SH. When a third of the sayings material is removed from Q in a
                    > distinctly non-random manner and allocated to Au_Matt, one has to look
                    > afresh at the question of its original location, just as one has to look
                    > afresh at the question of its original language.

                    Okay, "in a distinctively non-random manner" makes it sound
                    like you DO have literary, as opposed to
                    tradition-historical, grounds for your revision of Q. If so,
                    I'd like to know what they are.

                    > Because Q cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be described as
                    > "an account of the events which have taken place among us" (REB).

                    Of course it can. Are you saying that this description of
                    sources is so constrictive that it can only include the
                    narrative gospel genre.

                    > > or any other number of now-lost sources (including
                    > >"L")
                    >
                    > I thought you were a 2SH advocate. Are you saying that Luke had three
                    > documentary sources? Surely the idea of "L" as a written source was
                    > ditched decades ago.

                    Uh, the 2SH does not, to my knowledge, insist that there
                    were ONLY two sources; only that the main shared sources for
                    Matthew and Luke were Mark and Q. I am increasingly
                    convinced that Luke had Thomas, or at least Thomas
                    traditions, as a source (see the article by Gregory Riley in
                    HTR 88, I think). And he clearly had SOME source for all
                    those parables he includes in his travel narrative. Whether
                    this was a single written text or not, I have no idea. Lots
                    of people, by the way, still buy "L" -- I'm just not sure
                    I'm one of them.

                    > > As for Mattheanisms in Luke, there is a
                    > >growing literature on this, and the question is far from
                    > >settled.
                    >
                    > Phew! A response which is not an outright rebuttal!
                    > Thanks for this concession that at least a *part* of my argument is
                    > plausible.

                    Well, I'm pretty much forced to concede that there are
                    people out there -- intelligent people, first-rate scholars
                    (are your ears burning, Mark?) -- who take the position that
                    Luke used Matthew. So I have to concede that this is
                    something that's being discussed these days. I happen to
                    think Mark, and the view he defends, is WRONG, but it is
                    current. However, I would not for a moment concede that
                    Mattheanisms in Luke have actually been ESTABLISHED.

                    > But now you've replaced logical argument with invective, which is not
                    > helpful.
                    > The incoherence of Q is manifest from the fact that most Q scholars
                    > attempt to split it into the supposedly different layers Q1, Q2 and Q3.
                    > Since when did anyone split James into layers?

                    How about Didache? How about 1 Enoch? Moreover, this
                    argument shows a complete lack of awareness of the GROUNDS
                    on which Q is stratified (which has nothing to do with
                    incoherence). Invective, yes, because I'm tired of hearing
                    this particular argument, which has no basis in fact at all.
                    Kloppenborg -- the same dude who popularized the idea of a
                    stratified Q -- also showed Q's generic comparability with a
                    whole range of Near Eastern and Hellenistic writings. Alan
                    Kirk, more recently, has made a similar and perhaps even
                    more thorough case. A familiarity with the literature that
                    you're trying to refute would help shore up your arguments,
                    I think.

                    > A.M.Farrer wrote of the supposed author of Q: "What is hard to believe
                    > is that he should supply the exordium, while omitting the conclusion,
                    > that he should set in train the only story of unique importance, and
                    > break it off."
                    >
                    > The critique of the coherence of Q is patently false is it? So
                    > presumably you think Farrer was foolish as well.

                    Yes, I do.

                    > However if some of that literature addresses Farrer's comment I would
                    > be grateful for a specific reference.

                    As above. See Kloppenborg, _Formation of Q_, and Alan Kirk
                    (it's a Brill volume and now, of course, the title has
                    slipped out of my mind). Hell, even Robinson's old "Logoi
                    Sophon" article adddresses this. I note that Mark Goodacre
                    has tried to revive this weak argument by showing that Q has
                    a narrative skeleton that distinguishes it from, say,
                    Thomas, and so renders it generically incoherent. I didn't
                    find that argument convincing, for reasons that I assume are
                    somewhere in the crosstalk archives, probably from about
                    last year at this time.

                    > You would say that, because the 2SH has difficulty explaining Papias'
                    > statement. So, for that matter, does the FH.

                    Or any other hypothesis. Actually, 2SH has a fine
                    explanation for Papias: he didn't know what he was talking
                    about. Anyway, and once again, as I asked: is there some
                    Aramaic sayings document out there that actually corresponds
                    to this reference? If there isn't, what's your point?

                    Bill
                    William E. Arnal e-mail: wea1@...
                    Religious Studies/Classics New York University
                  • Mark Goodacre
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                      On 4 Dec 2000, at 16:32, William E. Arnal wrote:

                      > Well, I'm pretty much forced to concede that there are
                      > people out there -- intelligent people, first-rate scholars
                      > (are your ears burning, Mark?) -- who take the position that Luke
                      > used Matthew. So I have to concede that this is something that's
                      > being discussed these days. I happen to think Mark, and the view
                      > he defends, is WRONG, but it is current. However, I would not for
                      > a moment concede that Mattheanisms in Luke have actually been
                      > ESTABLISHED.

                      Whoever has ears to hear, let them burn. I'm enjoying your
                      participation in Xtalk and can't but find myself commenting on
                      this and one other remark in one of your emails. I wonder if it
                      isn't the case that the presence of Mattheanisms in Luke has
                      been established. You can't get more Matthean than
                      "weeping and gnashing of teeth", "o ye of little faith" and
                      "when Jesus had finished these sayings . . .". unless one
                      wants to dispense with any kind of meaningful definition of
                      "Matthean". The difficulty is not whether or not they're present
                      -- that seems to be a given -- the difficulty is what their import
                      is. Partly in response to my critique, Goulder has recently
                      reformulated his linguistic argument in a direct challenge to
                      the IQP's means of reconstructing Q, as you know. I still
                      think that Goulder is overstating his case, but think he is
                      making a very interesting basic point nonetheless, viz. given
                      that on multiple occasions QC (= words common to Matt. and
                      Luke in Q passages) clearly features distinctive Matthean
                      expressions, we cannot assume that on other occasions, in
                      QD (=Q passages where Matt. and Luke differ), Q did not
                      feature distinctive Matthean expressions. In other words,
                      when one reads through reconstructions of Q, one regularly
                      sees statements to this effect: "given the Matthean nature of
                      this expression, it is unlikely that it stood in Q". But given
                      that there are many expressions in Q that are distinctive of
                      Matthew (because of the QC data), this is the kind of
                      assumption we simply can't make, can we?

                      > As above. See Kloppenborg, _Formation of Q_, and Alan Kirk
                      > (it's a Brill volume and now, of course, the title has
                      > slipped out of my mind). Hell, even Robinson's old "Logoi
                      > Sophon" article adddresses this. I note that Mark Goodacre
                      > has tried to revive this weak argument by showing that Q has a
                      > narrative skeleton that distinguishes it from, say, Thomas, and
                      > so renders it generically incoherent. I didn't find that argument
                      > convincing, for reasons that I assume are somewhere in the
                      > crosstalk archives, probably from about last year at this
                      time.

                      Both Robinson and Kloppenborg have indeed seen the extent
                      to which Q is moving in the direction of bios with some striking
                      narrative elements. I grant that this is one possible reading of
                      the evidence to which I was drawing attention, and on which it
                      seems I am in agreement with some Q scholars (and who
                      better than Robinson and Kloppenborg?!) What I was
                      attempting to do was to suggest that the Farrer Theory's
                      reading is a more plausible reading of the evidence because it
                      can deal satisfactorily with the triple tradition narrative material
                      that is taken for granted in Q and because it can satisfactorily
                      explain elements in the narrative structure of Q like Q 7.1,
                      "and when Jesus had finished these sayings . . ." But, as Bill
                      says, we had a good debate about this around this time last
                      year and there's probably nothing fresh that can be added at
                      this juncture.

                      Mark
                      --------------------------------------
                      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

                      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                      Homepage
                      http://www.ntgateway.com
                      The New Testament Gateway
                    • Nichael Cramer
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2000
                        Ron Price wrote:
                        >Howard wrote:
                        >>Where did Paul disappear to in the Gospels?
                        >
                        >Howard,
                        > The gospels are about the life of Jesus, in which Paul played no part,
                        >so you wouldn't expect him to appear there explicitly.

                        This is most certainly true. However shouldn't we find it
                        at least a little curious that Paul is so completely, so
                        uttlerly absent from the Gospels? Can that absence itself
                        tell us anything interesting?

                        Of course, the Gospels served many roles aside from
                        the simple putative recording of the Life of Jesus.
                        One of the most important of these was establishing
                        the authority and credibility of the early Church.

                        In particular, many of the leaders of the early church
                        --i.e. the leaders who were in place at the time when the
                        Gosples were written-- are clearly being "set up" in the
                        Gospels; James and John being two obvious examples.

                        It seems not unlikely that by the time the writers of the Gospels
                        were at work Paul would have had some reputation among the
                        various communities. Why was Paul excluded from such a process?
                        Shouldn't we expect him to be afforded at least some small crumb
                        by the writers of the Gospels? Even some phrase, something like
                        "...from Damascus will come a light..." Instead the silence is
                        absolute.

                        To most modern readers of the NT, if there is a second person
                        in Christianity after Jesus that person is Paul. The very
                        least that such an exclusion should tell us is that this view
                        is rather different from that held in and by the early Church.

                        Nichael Cramer
                        nichael@...
                        http://www.sover.net/~nichael/
                      • William E. Arnal
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                          On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Mark Goodacre wrote:

                          > this and one other remark in one of your emails. I wonder if it
                          > isn't the case that the presence of Mattheanisms in Luke has
                          > been established. You can't get more Matthean than
                          > "weeping and gnashing of teeth", "o ye of little faith" and
                          > "when Jesus had finished these sayings . . .". unless one
                          > wants to dispense with any kind of meaningful definition of
                          > "Matthean". The difficulty is not whether or not they're present
                          > -- that seems to be a given -- the difficulty is what their import

                          Fair enough. IF by "Mattheanisms" is meant "stylistic
                          features [or other] which are favourites of Matthew" and NOT
                          "stylistic features that were derived from Matthew." I took
                          the reference to "Mattheanisms", to which I responded, to be
                          an assertion that there WERE in fact places where Luke
                          certainly adopted stylistic [or other] features FROM
                          Matthew. To this, of course, I object. It seems to me that
                          just calling them "Mattheanisms" threatens to beg the
                          question. I would assume that many such instances represent
                          Lukan taking over of Q expressions which are also taken over
                          -- and repeated and amplified -- in Matthew. Does that make
                          sense?

                          > expressions, we cannot assume that on other occasions, in
                          > QD (=Q passages where Matt. and Luke differ), Q did not
                          > feature distinctive Matthean expressions.

                          I think that is probably true. But I think the IQP method is
                          rather complex than this; one can also reason, "if Q read
                          this way [i.e., Matthew's "Matthean" wording], was there any
                          reason for Luke to have changed the material in the
                          direction he did?" If the answer to that is "yes," then the
                          "Matthean" wording SHOULD be (I doubt it is, consistently,
                          but hey, that's life) preferred as original Q; if theanswer
                          is "no," then the grounds for preferring Luke's wording are
                          more than simply that the Matthean wording sounds Matthean.

                          > sees statements to this effect: "given the Matthean nature of
                          > this expression, it is unlikely that it stood in Q". But given
                          > that there are many expressions in Q that are distinctive of
                          > Matthew (because of the QC data), this is the kind of
                          > assumption we simply can't make, can we?

                          Again, true enough, but the Lukan wording will also be a
                          factor -- is it especially Lukan? Did Luke have (apparent)
                          grounds for changing it to reflect the wording he now has?
                          and so on.

                          > Both Robinson and Kloppenborg have indeed seen the extent
                          > to which Q is moving in the direction of bios with some striking
                          > narrative elements.

                          Well, narrative elements and narrative sequence are
                          different things. No one would deny that Q has narrative
                          elements: 7:1-10 is an obvious case in point, as is the
                          frame of every damn chreia in the whole collection.
                          Kloppenborg claims, however, that at its final stage Q was
                          moving in the direction of a *bios* and hence on a line that
                          would eventually converge with the (narrative) gospels. I'm
                          not so sure I agree with this -- the treatment of JBap does
                          NOT strike me as interested in sequence or chronology, and
                          the temptation seems to me to be more a thematic than
                          biographical statement (what I mean is: its point at the
                          start of the document is to establish Jesus' authority as a
                          teacher, rather than to tell the story of how that ministry
                          started).

                          In any case, Kloppenborg has shown, I think, that even with
                          a generic drift towards *bios*, Q falls within the
                          parameters of ancient sapiential literature. Of course, I
                          recognize that the paper you gave last year at the SBL was
                          claiming far more than THIS. And that, we have already
                          discussed.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                            On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Nichael Cramer wrote:

                            > It seems not unlikely that by the time the writers of the Gospels
                            > were at work Paul would have had some reputation among the
                            > various communities. Why was Paul excluded from such a process?
                            > Shouldn't we expect him to be afforded at least some small crumb
                            > by the writers of the Gospels? Even some phrase, something like
                            > "...from Damascus will come a light..." Instead the silence is
                            > absolute.

                            I can't agree with this assessment of things: what about
                            Luke-Acts? It's definitely NOT as though the author of Luke
                            has no interest in Paul, or wishes to suppress his
                            importance. He devotes half or more of his "second volume"
                            to the guy! But does he appear in GLuke? Not at all,not a
                            hint. Since we can't infer disdain, suppression, or
                            ignorance of Paul from his absence in GLuke, I'm not sure we
                            can from the other gospels either.

                            Bill

                            William E. Arnal e-mail: wea1@...
                            Religious Studies/Classics New York University
                          • James Covey
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2000
                              Hey CrossTalkers:

                              I'm itching to give John Dominic Crossan's
                              _The Birth of Christianity_ another close
                              read-through. Anyone else want to join me?

                              I know I'm not going to get to it 'til after
                              Christmas, so I'm suggesting that we start
                              in on January 5, and read through at a rate
                              of one Part per week (there's ten Parts)
                              with extra weeks at either end for introductory
                              sections and summary arguments/conclusions.

                              I've set up a moderated list for this purpose
                              on eGroups. I'm an experienced list moderator
                              and I promise to filter out the crap and keep
                              a short leash on the posts-per-day.

                              Come on, you know you want to.

                              BoC-Sem-subscribe@egroups.com

                              James

                              p.s. feel free to post this to other lists
                              you're on, e.g. Synoptic-L, Thomas list...

                              --
                              James R. Covey
                              Contributing Writer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 18, 2001
                                At 05:11 PM 12/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
                                >Hey CrossTalkers:
                                >
                                >I'm itching to give John Dominic Crossan's
                                >_The Birth of Christianity_ another close
                                >read-through. Anyone else want to join me?
                                >
                                >I know I'm not going to get to it 'til after
                                >Christmas, so I'm suggesting that we start
                                >in on January 5, and read through at a rate
                                >of one Part per week (there's ten Parts)
                                >with extra weeks at either end for introductory
                                >sections and summary arguments/conclusions.
                                >
                                >I've set up a moderated list for this purpose
                                >on eGroups. I'm an experienced list moderator
                                >and I promise to filter out the crap and keep
                                >a short leash on the posts-per-day.
                                >
                                >Come on, you know you want to.

                                James,
                                Did you ever get around to doing this? With Sukie Curtis's study guide as a
                                stimulus, I have taken the plunge and put it out there in my local world to
                                do a study course on BOC starting February 1 and ending by Easter. I just
                                started advertising in the past few days, so I guess that means that
                                there's no turning back now.... :-)

                              • jwest@highland.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 19, 2001
                                  > >I've set up a moderated list for this purpose
                                  > >on eGroups. I'm an experienced list moderator
                                  > >and I promise to filter out the crap and keep
                                  > >a short leash on the posts-per-day.
                                  > >
                                  > >Come on, you know you want to.
                                  >
                                  > James,
                                  > Did you ever get around to doing this? With Sukie Curtis's study guide as a
                                  > stimulus, I have taken the plunge and put it out there in my local world to
                                  > do a study course on BOC starting February 1 and ending by Easter. I just
                                  > started advertising in the past few days, so I guess that means that
                                  > there's no turning back now.... :-)

                                  yes-- if you set up this list it sounds like a good-- focused idea. i would
                                  like to participate- so what is the list address so i can sign up? and feb 1
                                  sounds like a good day to begin.

                                  let me know.

                                  Jim
                                • Liz Fried
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 19, 2001
                                    I purchased Sukie's guide, but haven't read it
                                    (sorry, Sukie)
                                    I haven't read BOC yet either, tho started it.
                                    I'd like to try the discussion group.
                                    I'm weighed down with a bunch of stuff,
                                    and would like to go v e r y v e r y s l o
                                    w l y
                                    liz

                                  • Secher
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 19, 2001
                                      Hi! Folks,

                                      I would like to be a part of this group. If someone could nail down the URL for joining
                                      and the beginning timeframe, as soon as possible, I would be more than happy to announce
                                      it on my list and several others are involved with. I think several folks would be willing
                                      to join in.

                                      Will we use Sukie Curtis's guide as a formal "workbook"?( See informational post below.)

                                      Talk to you later, Howard ~&~
                                      Any questions about the Historical Jesus?
                                      http://www.onelist.com/group/HistoricalJesus101
                                      Kindly overlook contextual errors, I use speech recognition software.
                                      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

                                      Hello, all,

                                      I've been a silent participant for several months but am briefly coming out of hiding to
                                      mention that, with the help of Gail Dawson, also of the august group, I will very soon
                                      have available copies of a study guide to accompany Crossan's _The Birth of
                                      Christianity_. It consists of summaries of his material (some who have used it say it
                                      helped keep them on track, esp. in the more complicated material) and questions for
                                      reflection and discussion, aimed particularly toward (but hopefull not exclusively toward)
                                      church discussion groups, in that many of the questions reflect the interaction of
                                      Crossan's proposals with "traditional" Christian teaching. A special feature of the guide
                                      includes questions from several real-life book study groups to Crossan and his responses
                                      back, which took place by email in a project I set up last fall. The whole thing is 66
                                      pages long, three-hole punched and shrink-wrapped, for a bargain price of $6 per copy plus
                                      1.75 for shipping.

                                      If you're interested, I'm at sbcurtis@... or if you're ready to send your money
                                      (!), you may do so at:
                                      Sukie Curtis