RE: [XTalk] Re: Friends of Caesar

  • Lorna Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      Robert,
      Dave,

      See Raymond Brown's commentary on 4G for explanation of phrase "friend of
      Caesar."

      Lorna Wilson

      Dave Hindley said:

      >He was so appointed, but as an Equestrian rank governor over a
      >third-rate province, I doubt he was ever publicly assigned such an
      >honor. If I am not mistaken, was not the title "friend of Caesar"
      >something to be assigned to client kings and princes in the buffer
      >states, and not to individual Romans? It would sort of be like
      >"Favored Nation Status" for a nation that does business with the USA.
      >What the author of the Gospel of John meant by this kind of phrase was
      >anyone's guess, but I would think it was intended to have a sense sort
      >of like Caesar's mythical speech "friends, Romans, countrymen..."

    • Richard Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
        Josephus has a brief discussion oh Herod as firend of caesar.
        Caesar said that one was safer being Herod's pig than Herod's son.
        Josephus records in Antiquities of the Jews, XVI, ix 3; Book 16, section 286
        that Augustus was furious with Herod in 8 BCE and threatened to treat him no
        longer as a friend (Client), but as a subject (subject to taxes). Josephus
        stated that Augustus wrote to Herod. The sum of his epistle was this, that
        whereas of old he had used him as his friend, he should now use him as his
        subject.
        Richard H. Anderson
        Wallingford PA
        http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke